Double LP85's or HP100 - Diving Wet-Steel Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One, numerous very experienced people here, whom I quite respect, have said many times that you should never need to ditch weight.

Stuartv - I enjoy your posts - you are very articulate and well thought out.

But this one sentence may get you hurt or killed. Please - this board is not infallible - even those who seem to know the most are not knowledgeable on how you dive. They can be wrong and sometimes reckless in dishing out "great" ideas and thoughts.

Think though this one - because I think this is not the best idea given or taken.
Your point is valid that if you have a deco obligation it makes sense not to ditch weight. But if you hit the surface you can fix bent - you can not fix dead. Depending on the situation the surface is often a better location than under the water.

Be safe - carry on... :)

Stuartv - I enjoy your posts - you are very articulate and well thought out.

But this one sentence may get you hurt or killed. Please - this board is not infallible - even those who seem to know the most are not knowledgeable on how you dive. They can be wrong and sometimes reckless in dishing out "great" ideas and thoughts.

Think though this one - because I think this is not the best idea given or taken.
Your point is valid that if you have a deco obligation it makes sense not to ditch weight. But if you hit the surface you can fix bent - you can not fix dead. Depending on the situation the surface is often a better location than under the water.

Be safe - carry on... :)

Thanks, BRD.

Please don't take my post as meaning that I would go a do any dive just based on what anyone here says is safe.

I made that point simply to say "it's not just me that thinks it's best to configure yourself so you don't need to ditch weight."

Certainly, it is better to ditch weight and live than not and drown! My point is, why not have a personal standard of plan and configure yourself to not have to ditch weight AND live? :) Is there a situation where you simply cannot configure yourself in such a way as to dive safely without having to be prepared to ditch weight? You might say "well, diving double steels with a SS BP, in a 7mm wetsuit, for one." And I would then ask if you couldn't do that safely by carrying a lift bag or some other redundant buoyancy? I mean, we ARE talking about a scenario of losing ALL available lift from your wing, right? And predicating your answer on the earlier statement that the diver is properly weighted (and I'll add) or as near as possibly given the stated configuration.

If you say "no, I consider that to be unsafe, even with a 50# lift bag" then okay. I'm not going to argue with you. I'm not even saying I consider it safe and would do it. I'm asking the opinion of more experienced divers so that I can learn.

Whether any given dive and gear configuration is "safe enough to do" is really up to each individual, right? But, there is usually consensus on many things. So, what do you think? SS BP, double HP100s, 7mm wetsuit, and 50# lift bag. Would you consider that a safe configuration to use for any dive where you also consider an AL BP and double AL80s to be safe enough to use?

So, what do you think? SS BP, double HP100s, 7mm wetsuit, and 50# lift bag. Would you consider that a safe configuration to use for any dive where you also consider an AL BP and double AL80s to be safe enough to use?

Nope - I would not dive with a 7mm wetsuit in double back mount. Yet - I would consider the same dive in side mount. At the very least I could jettison a tank and swim the rig up... I would be very disappointed in leaving behind a tank and reg but would gladly drop equipment in order to save my life.

But since I have my drysuit - I think it safer in a drysuit and lift bag if needed.

BTW I am a big proponent of the rubber weight belts... Mako :)

I'm enjoying reading the opinions of so many folks with much more experience than I have. This thread is about dives with deco obligations. And while I agree that bent is better than drowned, I'm also concerned about the cork / polaris missile effect of leaving the bottom having ditched weight and with a wetsuit regaining buoyancy, and minus some pounds of the gas I started out with. This is not a matter of just skipping a safety stop. The stories of what happens to deep divers who skip deco in a rush for sunlight and seagulls frankly scare the poop out of me.

I guess I prefer the idea of always planning to be a bit negative and having some form of redundant lift - SMB, lift bag, dry suit. I'm seriously contemplating a dual bladder wing now.

FWIW, I'm probably thinking in terms of wreck diving where there's a vertical ascent after leaving the wreck. I'm not sure if the issues are different with deco on a cave dive with a deep penetration.

-Don

I have dove my LP 85s with just a backplate before with only my swimsuit and hooded vest. I seemed to be ok until the end where they started to get buoyant on me.

This thread is about dives with deco obligations.

Actually it wasn't until Post 17 ScaredSilly mentioned deco... Regardless - of the thread - they all tend to meander from the OP. :)

Actually it wasn't until Post 17 ScaredSilly mentioned deco... Regardless - of the thread - they all tend to meander from the OP. :)
True enough, I'm totally new to doubles and just assumed that the OP's primary reason for carrying that much backgas is to extend bottom time beyond NDL, so the discussions of buoyancy and weighting made me think of issues related to deco. Now what did the OP want to know? Oh yeah, LP85s v. HP100s... stop me before I wander again :)

FWIW, I'm probably thinking in terms of wreck diving where there's a vertical ascent after leaving the wreck. I'm not sure if the issues are different with deco on a cave dive with a deep penetration.

-Don

Assuming your profile is up to date, I'm barely more experienced than you, so take my opinions with suitable sodium. But, while I would consider relying on a lift bag for redundant buoyancy in open water or even the limited lightzone-only wreck penetration that I feel qualified for, I would definitely not rely on a lift bag for redundant buoyancy in a cave (not that I have had any cave training, mind you). Dry suit all the way, I think, for being in a cave.

Dry suit all the way, I think, for being in a cave.

At the risk of veering even more off topic, I believe wetsuit and double Al 80s is a fairly common configuration in the Mexican caves, as water temps are moderate and most are relatively shallow. Not that I have any cave training, either.

One thing that the OP asked that we haven't touched on much is HP vs LP. Each has its place. If I am diving in a remote area we sometimes have to top off via crossover from AL80's. In this case the LP tanks have an advantage since you can get closer to a full fill than an HP tank. I have doubles that are LP95s, HP100s, HP120s, AL80s and AL40s and select based upon the dive, environment and logistics.

With that said though, I concur that if you're wet, go with AL80s.

Back
Top Bottom