Double LP72s: what wing do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a 38-pound HOG doubles wing that seemed sized reasonably well for AL80s, but tacos quite a bit on double 72s. Is there a preferred wing out there for narrower tanks such as these?

I use the same wing that I do on my big doubles, a Dive Rite 360. It's way over-kill. It tacos a little but I can still get to the rear dump just fine.

I use a Dive Rite Classic.

I have a 38-pound HOG doubles wing that seemed sized reasonably well for AL80s, but tacos quite a bit on double 72s. Is there a preferred wing out there for narrower tanks such as these?

Assuming a modern 215 mm manifold is used with both sets of tanks the 72's are a whopping 1/4" more narrow than the al 80's. (7" dia 72'a vs 7.25" dia al 80's)

Can you really tell the difference in tank wrap?

Wing capacity for doubles is a function of the weight of the gas and the buoyancy of the divers suit.

Minimum center panel width for doubles wings is a function of the C to C of the manifold, 215 mm = 8.46 inches. That's why most doubles wing have a 9~9.5 inch wide center panel.

Tobin

I use a Deep Outdoors 40 lb wing, the same one I use with 85s and 100s. It works fine. It's not the wing that's the problem - I just can't trim out those darned tanks!

None at all.

Assuming a modern 215 mm manifold is used with both sets of tanks the 72's are a whopping 1/4" more narrow than the al 80's. (7" dia 72'a vs 7.25" dia al 80's)

Can you really tell the difference in tank wrap?

Wing capacity for doubles is a function of the weight of the gas and the buoyancy of the divers suit.

Minimum center panel width for doubles wings is a function of the C to C of the manifold, 215 mm = 8.46 inches. That's why most doubles wing have a 9~9.5 inch wide center panel.

Tobin

What if ya don't use manifolds?

What if ya don't use manifolds?

What's your point?

Doubles wings are still built to accommodate 215 mm C to C spacing, and moving from 7.25 dia tanks to 7 inch tanks changes the over width of the cylinders a *tiny* amount, regardless of whether they are manifolded or not.

Do you really think a diver can detect 1/4" more or less tank wrap?

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom