double 104's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chickdiver once bubbled...
BTW_ I teach this in Basic courses- where it SHOULD be taught.

So do I, ChickDiver, so do I.

Retention, now that is a different matter. Especially in the modern era of nitrox computers, where you can simply dial everything in.

P.S. What exactly is a ChickDiver? Is that a diver who dives into chicks, or is that a chick who is a diver? I am almost afraid to ask.

Karl_in_Calif once bubbled...
However, you cannot be married to EAN32 if you want to compute and utilize the "best mix."

I see it very simply. EAN36 @ 96 gives you an EAD of 72. Or 80 feet on the charts. EAN32 gives you an EAD of 78, which is ... 80 feet on the charts.

The advantage I have with being married to 32% is I'm still fine if we have to change our destination and end up on a wreck a little deeper.

Another advantage to 32 is I can calculate the EAD in my head, and don't need to sit down with a calculator to figure out the best mix and EAD for each and every dive.

P.S. What exactly is a ChickDiver? Is that a diver who dives into chicks, or is that a chick who is a diver? I am almost afraid to ask.

The latter would be correct. Also take note of the very appropriate avatar :wink:

Spectre once bubbled...

I see it very simply. EAN36 @ 96 gives you an EAD of 72. Or 80 feet on the charts. EAN32 gives you an EAD of 78, which is ... 80 feet on the charts.

The advantage I have with being married to 32% is I'm still fine if we have to change our destination and end up on a wreck a little deeper.

Another advantage to 32 is I can calculate the EAD in my head, and don't need to sit down with a calculator to figure out the best mix and EAD for each and every dive.

Please reassure me as well that you do not dive deeper than 100 ft on air or nitrox?!

If you can, then I can live with your EAN32 short cuts.

MHK loves EAN32 as well. He uses the 120 sum for it. I can tell EAN32 is developing a following.

I would ask, "Why not just round to an even EAN30?" but I am sure that would be heresy somewhere.

her·e·sy [ hérrəssee ] (plural her·e·sies)

noun

1. religion / unorthodox religious opinion: an opinion or belief that contradicts established religious teaching, especially one that is officially condemned by a religious authority

2. religion / holding of unorthodox religious belief: the holding of, or adherence to, an opinion or belief that contradicts established religious teaching, especially one that is officially condemned by religious authorities
guilty of heresy

3. unorthodox opinion: an opinion or belief that does not coincide with established or traditional theory, especially in philosophy, science, or politics

4. holding of unorthodox opinion: the holding of an unorthodox opinion that is in conflict with established or traditional theory

[12th century. Via Old French from, ultimately, Greek hairesis “choice, sect,” from haireisthai “to choose.” The underlying idea is of somebody’s choice of a way of thinking.]

Spectre once bubbled...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The latter would be correct. Also take note of the very appropriate avatar

:wink:

I could not tell what that is, but it looks like something that hurts when it bites you!

Soggy once bubbled...
Double LP104s are way too heavy in the water for a wetsuit....you'll be a big anchor. LP72s aren't much better, however, as their in-water buoyancy characteristics aren't much different. Double steel tanks and a wetsuit are a bad idea, basically.

Lets not over generalize here. Steel 72's are about 4 lbs heavier in the water than AL 80's and are still a viable option with a wet suit.

I dive twin steel 72's with my 7mm one piece in th ewarmer months and still have 12 pounds of ditchable weight with a SS bakplate. Go to an AL backplate you you'll have another 6 lbs of bouyancy. I would not think twice about using OMS 98's either.

And in the end the important thing here is whether you can swim your way up from depth in your gear in the event of a BC or wing failure and it is pretty simple to test/practice this. If you can do it with your weights attached, doing it without them will be simple.

DA Aquamaster once bubbled...

Lets not over generalize here. Steel 72's are about 4 lbs heavier in the water than AL 80's and are still a viable option with a wet suit.

I dive twin steel 72's with my 7mm one piece in th ewarmer months and still have 12 pounds of ditchable weight with a SS bakplate. Go to an AL backplate you you'll have another 6 lbs of bouyancy. I would not think twice about using OMS 98's either.

And in the end the important thing here is whether you can swim your way up from depth in your gear in the event of a BC or wing failure and it is pretty simple to test/practice this. If you can do it with your weights attached, doing it without them will be simple.

I believe he should do the calculations. Once you get the math right, the rest is easy. No more mythology. Then you have a customized rig fine tuned for wherever you are going to be diving.

Besides, the swing in your case D/A on a 7mm wetsuit is going to be about 20 lbs from the surface to 100 ft. If you do lose your B/C wing at that depth, I dont think it is going to be too easy to kick back up, since 20 - 12 still equals -8 .

Kicking up in a drysuit is based upon the assumption that you neutralized your suit squeeze before you lost your B/C wing. This is something that is hard to forget, since your gonads are getting crushed in the meantime. [Forgive me, ChickDiver. In your case, definitely not your gonads. But something else, for sure.]

You cannot neutralize in a wetsuit at depth without your B/C wing.

So I agree more with Soggy.

To clrify a point- the drysuit should always be dived with a squeeze- the least amount of air required to maintian comfort. The wing (or BC) being the primary bouyancy device. If the Wing os compromised, one can at that time gain neutral bouyancy with the drysuit and use it for bouyancy during the ascent. The same end result can be accomplished with a lift bag, though it is much more difficult. One would never "swim" a drysuit up from depth. That is why we run the inflator hoses from opposite posts, so that there is always an LP hose available for the drysuit or wing if one has to shut the isolator down.

To clrify a point- the drysuit should always be dived with a squeeze- the least amount of air required to maintian comfort. The wing (or BC) being the primary bouyancy device. If the Wing os compromised, one can at that time gain neutral bouyancy with the drysuit and use it for bouyancy during the ascent. The same end result can be accomplished with a lift bag, though it is much more difficult. One would never "swim" a drysuit up from depth. That is why we run the inflator hoses from opposite posts, so that there is always an LP hose available for the drysuit or wing if one has to shut the isolator down.

We got onto the subject of "swimming up" from the swimming-up tech drill.

Agreed, that outside of a drill, you would never swim up a drysuit.

That is why we run the inflator hoses from opposite posts, so that there is always an LP hose available for the drysuit or wing if one has to shut the isolator down.

Out here, on the West Coast Best Coast, we use an argon bottle however.

Out here, it gets so cold in the water, that everything shrinks. Everything. For girls too. Not just for boys.

Trick is during deco to empty your B/C wing as much as possible, and fill your suit with warmed argon as much as possible. To heck with suit squeeze. Dont want anything to freeze off!

Back
Top Bottom