Dorcy Dive II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Midget

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just received this torch. As I understand it, they are supposed to be very difficult to unscrew the first time. This one wasn't. And I see no O ring anywhere.
There should be an O ring if it is to be submersible, ya?

I don't have that light but yes, it should either have an o-ring or two or a gasket or be permanently sealed shut.

The o-ring may be the "axial"? type rather than radial (I think I have those straight) so it may be in a groove in the wall of the head as opposed to being in easy sight behind the lens.

Many manufacturers seem to use Loctite on the threads which generally only lasts through a few dives. Not all dive light heads are hard to take off however.

So, maybe you don't have an o-ring in yours (manufacturing mistake) or perhaps you've overlooked it.

Maybe someone who has this light will respond.

To take the head off (as if to put batteries in) should not be a issue, and you should see two o-rings in grooves on the body of the light.

Or did I misunderstand?

Attachments

• closeup_051.jpg
    closeup_051.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 87
I just received this torch. As I understand it, they are supposed to be very difficult to unscrew the first time. This one wasn't. And I see no O ring anywhere. There should be an O ring if it is to be submersible, ya?

Yes there should. In this case, two. They are recessed as in the photo d_r kindly posted, and usually have some lube on them; so maybe you just missed them? Or they may have been omitted during assembly

But they won't be excessivley hard to undo, unless as bryan said they used some form of thread lock (although I don't know why they would do this, thread lock is designed to prevent threads loosening, not keep them watertight, and since you have to rotate the head to switch the light on and off... no reason for it)

The o-ring may be the "axial"? type rather than radial (I think I have those straight)

No. A radial o-ring would be the one in the groove at right angles to the axis of the torch. An axial o-ring would be aligned with the axis. Which wouldn't help much in this example :)

Yes there should. In this case, two. They are recessed as in the photo d_r kindly posted, and usually have some lube on them; so maybe you just missed them? Or they may have been omitted during assembly

But they won't be excessivley hard to undo, unless as bryan said they used some form of thread lock (although I don't know why they would do this, thread lock is designed to prevent threads loosening, not keep them watertight, and since you have to rotate the head to switch the light on and off... no reason for it)

No. A radial o-ring would be the one in the groove at right angles to the axis of the torch. An axial o-ring would be aligned with the axis. Which wouldn't help much in this example :)

I guess they're all radial in these cases then. I guess both types I was thinking of are still radial. There's the type apparently used in this light and then there's the o-ring on a ledge behind a glass lens.

In any event, my comments were before seeing the pictures. Since you have to take the head off to put the batteries in and to switch on and off in this light there would be no reason for the head to be hard to get off (or to use Loctite). Actually, there's never a good reason for it but it's on a lot of lights until after the 3 or 4th dive. :)

I know that it's sometimes hard to initially see black o-rings in the grooves of the tube so hopefully the OP has just not seen them...or they weren't installed. :)

When I put my nail under those two black rings that looked like part of the casing, they move. O rings!
Very hard to distinguish them from the metal by running your finger over the top of them because of the oil.
It only came in a bubble sleeve and the instructions insert was a photocopy piece of paper so I thought it was perhaps a return. I guess all is good.

The peeps on this forum offer a wealth of information. Thanks!!!!

After I dive with this light, I'll give it a review.

It only came in a bubble sleeve and the instructions insert was a photocopy piece of paper so I thought it was perhaps a return

Nah that's standard

Enjoy! Good light

Addendum

I emailed Dorcy when I received the light and couldn't see the O rings.

They have just emailed back asking only for my address so they could mail O rings to me straight away.
Good customer support!

I've replied asking to purchase them as replacements.....assuming O rings don't last forever.

I ordered a Dorcy Dive II light after reading the boards here. I was disappointed to receive it without any packaging over the flashlight itself whatsoever. It was mailed loose in an envelope. This alone makes it difficult to gift the light to a friend of mine. Moreover, the base of the light itself was dinged, with an area of black paint completely missing. The order was also supposed to contain two sets of spare o-rings (which were both paid for) and only came with one. I don't know what to think about this, but it seems that three strikes means Dorcy's out. I emailed them and will update this with their response once I get it.

Back
Top Bottom