Don't shout if in wrong place - but need help with an ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigcutie

New
Reaction score
If this is posted in the wrong place, sorry! Not really used to using forums.
but while diving I came across a silver metallic looking coloured ball, aprox size of a golf ball. Thinking it to be discarded rubbish I went to put it in my pocket for proper disposal on the surface. It popped, it had a thick plastic feel. Later in amongst the coral I found five more. Any one got any ideas? The seem to belong rather than been thrown away.
Ive googled egg sac etc... With no luck :(
so any ideas would be great (location: South Thailand)
thanks a lot

Likely a sea pearl, one of the largest single cell organisms. The sea pearl is greenish, but usually covered with splotches of lavender crust algae or other things. Did it look something like this? 20120304105035-7074248d.jpg

Yes!

Likely a sea pearl, one of the largest single cell organisms. The sea pearl is greenish, but usually covered with splotches of lavender crust algae or other things. Did it look something like this?View attachment 203482

Yes it did! Thank you, you've come across them before then? Thank you it's been bugging me all day, xxxxx

Bigcutie, these little guys are all over the Ocean, and by your finding it, describing it well, and even having the curiosity to pursue this quest is a great sign of your dive abilities evolving well! Keep looking and seeing. Two different things.

You're going to start noticing things that you've overlooked. Pay particular attention to the patterns of calcium detritus that you may have previously written off simply as "sand". You're going to start seeing an abundance of particular globular U shaped patterns. Hmmm.

Your question above is a very common one from those who are beginning the Naturalist journey. Get yourself a glass lensed magnifier, even a cheap one, and take it diving with you. Along with a small flashlight... slow down, have a closer look.

Next fairly standard Top 10 "what is this?" questions....

Worm poop. Pretty cool, though.

Valonia ventricosa, green bubble algae. The genus is constantly being updated and revised by taxonomists, and there are several different species, but this is the most common and is, I think, the correct designation.

Back
Top Bottom