Don't know about SSI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My local SSI OW was $250 including all the various books, card, picture, equipment and air for the dives that were required. We did, of course have to pick up the tab on the hotel and what ever we ate on the certification dives.

I'm with the others: Report that shyster to the SSI agency headquarters. Sooner the better!!

I was certified by a SSI LDS, and my costs were all up front. The only extra payment was for lodging when we completed open water dives in the ocean. I visited my LDS this evening. The cost for the next class is $270. This includes open water lake dives, prior to the certifying ocean dives. Comparable to the prices in previous posts.

My open water class was with SSI. The only surprise add-in cost was our second day in the ocean was $75 extra for a boat. (We'd voted on it as a class, and if I recall correctly, it was unanimous to make the third and fourth dives off a boat.) Balance that with a $40 discount he threw in if we stayed 40 minutes late one night of class. (The instructructor started ranting, as he was prone to do, and didn't cover all the material our first night. He said he'd give us a $1 per minute he kept us late.) The refund was only valid on merchandise at his shop, but it allowed me to buy my fins for within $20 of the lowest price I saw them online. He did not even require us to buy our "required gear" at his shop. (My mask and snorkel are from Costco.)

I would have prefered a teacher that stayed on subject, but it was a very nice touch for him to pay us to listen to what he had to say!

It seems to depend on the LDS. The local SSI shop had an accelerated course and a 'normal' course. I think the accelerated was $200 + $100 books + boat dive. The 'normal' course was around $350-400 (I don't remember exactly) + the other stuff and was 8-weeks. The benefit of the 8-week course was lifetime use of their pool. They didn't rent any equipment so you had to basically buy everything from them to take the class .... financing available, as I was told :). They are more 'tech' oriented then the shop we went through so I may be getting my AOW from those guys instead. Our LDS is more a 'hangout' for the recreational diver - lots of great folks but not too technically oriented. Can't complain, really.

Well I sent the dive shop an e mail explaining my feelings and the response was as follows: I'm sorry you feel this way and that I (the owner) wasn't there when you came in. If you were I would have explained that if you do your ceck out dives with us the card is free. If not we charge 35.00 because we are charged for the card.

At any rate, it's over. I enjoyed the course and learned a lot. Scuba was something I always wanted to do and now I finally did it. I certainly won't go back to that shop again. also, when I mentioned about being "pressured" to buy from the same shop I was talking about SSI itself, not the lds. It was on the CD rom. Lots of innuendos about going back to the same shop....I guess it's just business. If one has a business I just think it's suicide to engage in this kind of behavior, i.e. card charge.

It isn't mentioned in the lds's web site and I am not sure if I will report it to SSI or not. In the grand scheme of things it's not that big a deal. Thanks for all the responses.

nikyyo once bubbled...
I recently got open water certified through SSI. At first, the price was $250.00 until I found out that I had to pay $100.00 for the "text" and CD ROM. .... I guess I didn't like the commercial aspect of it. I feel that training should just be training. Anyway, I go to pick up my c-card from the shop and I am told that there is a $35.00 fee for the card. Well..... now I'm new. Are all agencies like this? If so then what can you do, but from where I stand i just took my last SSI course: and guess who's NOT getting my dive business?!?! I mean don't you think this stuff is just tacky?:upset:

Sounds like the LDS did a number on you. Write a complaint to SSI, it must be written for them to consider it, and listen to how many ways they will explain that the LDS is responsible for their own actions. No, I do not work for NAUI or PADI, I am an SSI instructor. If you have more people in your class that feels they had the same type of experience then have them write letters also. Have as many details and specifics as possible and be ready for some stonewalling and bs'ing. Then again you might be surprised and they will apologize to you..

Find a dive shop that you like with people you enjoy hanging with, and I hope your diving experiences get a lot better.:D

as a Dive CON through SSI (padi divemaster)
I can tell you something not right I have been with SSI for about three years and even with Padi and Nasds too this sounds fishy to me talk to the shop owner and also report to SSI if nothing else they will check into it and if nothing more you may get something from SSI in way of assistance !!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom