Don't know about SSI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikyyo

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently got open water certified through SSI. At first, the price was $250.00 until I found out that I had to pay $100.00 for the "text" and CD ROM. After finishing everything, including my O/W dives I was pretty happy, although I didn't care for the way that SSI was trying to push going to the same shop for buying diving equipment. I guess I didn't like the commercial aspect of it. I feel that training should just be training. Anyway, I go to pick up my c-card from the shop and I am told that there is a $35.00 fee for the card. Well..... now I'm new. Are all agencies like this? If so then what can you do, but from where I stand i just took my last SSI course: and guess who's NOT getting my dive business?!?! I mean don't you think this stuff is just tacky?:upset:

Sounds like the LDS was engaging in some dodgey marketing tactics, rather than this being indicative of SSI as a certification agency. All costs should have been stated up front.

Do you feel that the marketing was deceptive enough that it was fraudulent? If so, place a complaint with whichever government agency in your state handles business practice complaints.

Many dive shops price the training, course material and certification cards seperately, but you should have been made aware of them upfront, rather than finding out about them along the way. And check with SSI as to whether or not the CD purchase was necessary - with PADI at least it is an optional supplement to the printed training material. If you were told you "had to have it" to do the course and in fact you didn't, you may have a better case.

Sorry to hear that your introduction to the sport was a negative one!

All your complaints are valid but should be directed at your local dive shop not towards SSI. Definately find another dive shop but those are not the policies of SSI, I would encourage you to contact SSI on their website www.ssiusa.com there is a place to contact them by e-mail . I hear stories like this often in one town it is the SSI shop in another the PADI .But dont blame the agency you should however let them know so they can do something about it.
Joens

Was only $300 CAN, included all rentals (except mask/fins/snorkel and air for OW), book, cert. card when I qualified, etc... Package would have actually been $45 cheaper per person if I had learned as part of a pair (shared book for pairs). Pool/Class only would have run me $200 CAN (plus 7% GST, of course).
No-one tried to sell me a CD or insisted that I buy the personal equipment at the shop as part of the deal. Bottom line - it's not SSI, it's your dive shop/instructor.

First thing I got handed when I made inquiries about the course was the sheet with all the price details and what was and was not included. I liked that. Hope your next experience (SSI or not) is better.

We get that all the time around here. Divers complain that the other guy is cheaper until they get hit with all the add-on costs. People don't ask, they hear a cheap price and they are too happy to want to ruin it. I give one price that includes everything but many don't like the price.

As far as the shop trying to sell their gear during the class. I agree it seems distastfull but in the current dive shop business model if classes don't sell gear they aren't worth doing because the money stinks. Complain to the manufacturers about that one along with the shop.

go over to http://diversunion.org and sign the petition while you're at it too on that manufacturer issue... :)

BTW, its the local shop. I was SSI certified and nothing like that was pulled on me.

I am SSI certified and I was given a list of what was covered in the fee and what was not. We had to supply our own mask, fins, snorkle, gloves, weight belt and weights, and booties. The books, tanks, air and classes were all in the fees. For the OW cert we paid for the trip to Ginnie Springs, rental of any gear we needed and that was all told up front. There was no cost for the C-card when we picked it up.

Since the basic OW cert I have taken 5 specialties and only paid for the materials needed. I have the Master Diver C-card and they did not charge me for that card. I was told though that SSI does charge the shop for the cards, I imagine that they are building that cost into the total package of my cost.

Overall, they encourage us to buy from their shop, but there is not any high pressure to do so. I spend most of my money with them because I like them and feel I am getting really great service with them. Not everyone has that feeling or experiences with their LDS.

not SSI or the manufacturers. What you need to pay should be spelled out up front as most have said. I have a very good relationship with several shops because they provide lots of free information and help.

Please report this shop to SSI.
The second (of four) objective of the first OW classroom session is "After completing this section, the student should ... Have a thorough understanding of the required fees, materials and equipment for the course."
In the session detail, section III.A.1. is "Payment procedures."
III.A.2. is "Equipment policy - Explain what equipment students are expected to buy or rent, and what equipment the dive store will supply."
At the end of the course overview section, it says, in oversized bold print, offset with lines for emphasis:
"With both payment and equipment policies, the students need to understand exactly what is required of them. NO SURPRISES."
The store that treated you otherwise is in direct violation of SSI policy and is operating outside SSI standards.
It ain't SSI, and the shop knows it.
Rick

I was cerified through SSI at my lds.Everything was included in the price he qouted me up front.I was required to buy my mask ,fins, booties and snorkel through him which i was notified of beforehand.I was shown equipment in the shop but never felt pressured about buying from him. In the end i purchased all of my equipment through him and he refunded my class money towards purchase of gear for doing so along with a discount on the gear to boot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom