Don't help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like helping divers if they look like they need help but only after asking.

I personally hate when people try to help me because I’m self sufficient and don’t need help.

Also hate it when divers think 1/4 turn back is how my tank valve should be. NEVER TOUCH SOMEONES VALVES UNLESS THEY OR YOU ASK TO.

One of the reasons I don’t like people helping me is because where I am, most don’t dive a wing with a longhose so they don’t understand my rig (even though there’s nothing to *understand* about it).

@johnkendall and @Trace Malinowski what are your thoughts on wanting or needing help during kitting up with doubles and 4 stages, rebreather etc?

Be interested to know from the guys who do it right (genuinely).

On any dive that requires a lot of gear, then we get everything setup as a team. In terms of then putting on your own rig, I do everything I can to make sure I don't *need* help, but am more than happy to have people help me get ready.

HTH
John

Surprisingly, you would think that the extra equipment would necessitate needing more help when suiting up, but that really isn't the case. A diver can take care to make sure the light cord and long hose are routed correctly and that each bolt snap is clipped in proper order. Underwater, a diver may accidentally cross clip which is often a pain in the butt to correct. A GUE instructor friend of mine did that in David Rhea's cave class. A female teammate reached over to help and he swatted her hand away. David thumbed the dive and chastised him, "Don't ever not accept help from a teammate!" He was failed from taking a GUE cave class for one year.

It's been my experience that dive boats which cater to technical divers and technical divers themselves, expect a greater degree of independence and self-sufficiency even in a team environment. You watch your team and other divers suit. If you see someone working to get into their kit, you usually let them try to sort it themselves. But, you want to offer to help before they get to a point where a diver is struggling and definitely interject before they become frustrated. Technical divers are pretty good at gauging when help is appreciated.

In the 1000 Islands where the St. Lawrence separates New York and Canada, we have a pretty good representation of DIR divers and cave divers. The budding technical student usually ends up in some take on the Hogarthian system whether from GUE, UTD, or cave trained tech instructors. This allows divers to lifeguard multiple teams and know when to jump in and when to refrain.

It's good manners to offer to help, but better manners to not touch someone else's rig, bottles, scooters, or what not unless asked. If someone just jumps in to help, I'll be gracious about it even when not needed or not not sought. Divers are a good lot and mean well.

I once offered a older diver (I am not that young myself) with twin LP85s a hand to climb a steep embankment after a dive. He vehemently refused. I was wondering why. After all I could tell his skeleton and muscles were having trouble handling the weight of the equipment and several times, he almost took a fall.

I was taught growing up to try to help people. And I do so as an adult. The I discovered a class of divers who refuse help. To each their own I suppose but some treat a helping hand as weakness and it is really sad state of affairs for such divers. Fortunately others don't mind.

I ask for help if I need help and assume other divers will do the same. The exception to that courtesy is if I see something wrong or a problem, at which time I will point out what I am seeing, and ask if I can do anything for them. So far, I have only received a "yes, thank you" type of response.

I once offered a older diver with twin LP85s a hand to climb a steep embankment after a dive. He vehemently refused. I was wondering why. After all I could tell his skeleton and muscles were having trouble handling the weight of the equipment and several times, he almost took a fall.

I was taught growing up to try to help people. And I do so as an adult. The I discovered a class of divers who refuse help. To each their own I suppose but some treat a helping hand as weakness and it is really sad state of affairs for such divers. Fortunately others don't mind.

Well Whippersnapper, perhaps when you're his age you will better understand his attitude.:D

I’m all for independance. i am not for injury.

I once offered a older diver (I am not that young myself) with twin LP85s a hand to climb a steep embankment after a dive. He vehemently refused. I was wondering why. After all I could tell his skeleton and muscles were having trouble handling the weight of the equipment and several times, he almost took a fall.

As an older diver, let me tell you a story:

Once, my son and I were climbing a steep, rocky embankment after a dive. I was struggling some (so was my son) when a nice gentleman offered to help and I refused. After we got to the top and began to remove our gear, my son said "Dad, that man was only trying to take your fins so that you would have both hands available to climb the rocks." Well, I never thought of that. Usually, when people see my white hair and try to steady my climb, they often push when I need pull and pull when I need push and it makes climbing just that much more difficult for me, so I often refuse the help. Since that day; however, when a similar incident occurs, and someone offers to help - I just say "Thanks" and then I hand them my fins.

Back
Top Bottom