Donsol Philippines information needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muha

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, dear divers!
I have a plane to visit Donsol Philippines to see whealshark, but I can’t fiend reliable and detail information about hotels and diving centers in this area in the Internet. Is it a good place for diving except whealshark?
Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions!
Best wishes!
MUHA

Don't think there are any dive centers there. Only supervised snorkeling with the whaleshark is allowed from what I know.

As far as I know there is only snorkelling in donsol for whale sharks. They get whale shark sightings about once a month in Moalboal though and I can recommend Blue Abyss divers. I didn't see any by the way

Hi,

I've been to Donsol last February. Here's what I can tell you from my experience.
If you are from Manila, you can take a flight to Legazpi. From there, it's about
2 hours drive. The whale sharks gather at the bay of Donsol from February to
June. It's one spectacular place, and I'm sure you'll enjoy swimming side by side
with the giant.

When you first arrive to the place, you are required to watch a video informing
about the place and shark inside the managing office built by WWF. After that,
you'll be paying a conservation fee and boat charter fee. You'll board the small
boat with boatman and a guide. Boatman will locate the shark, and once guide's
approval has been given, you are allowed to swim with the giant. Sometimes
you can swim close to an hour with the shark, but most of the time, they will
dart through the murky water. Don't worry though. You'll have plenty of chances.
I think I was on boat around 8AM to 11AM, and saw more than 10 different species.

If you will be visiting the place Feb to Mar, bring a thin wet suit or rashguard. The
water temp is about 23 to 24C. Also, bring your own mask, snorkel, and fin. Fin
is especially important since those giants are fast swimmers eventhough they are
just crusing to feed on plankton.

There is an accomodation in Donsol called Fernando's Hotel. There email is
fernando@k-net.edu, but I'm not sure this address is still working. I believe
they can arrange whole trip if you have no idea about the area.

I'm planning to visit again next year, but seems like the volcano up there is getting
a bit active again... Good luck!

Dear Spyder_Zagato,

Thank you very much for your e-mail!!! This information is very interesting for me! I am going to Donsol in March 2005 and hope to see the whale-sharks. Unfortunately (or fortunately), the internet das not provide enough information about diving activity in this area, so that I have few extra questions to you. Do you know good places and operators (and place to stay) for scuba-diving around Legazpi? And what about volcano? I do not have any information that it getting active?!
Again, thank you very much for you detail information! Good lack with all your dives!
Divers rule the planet!!!

MUHA

spyder_zagato:
Hi,

I've been to Donsol last February. Here's what I can tell you from my experience.
If you are from Manila, you can take a flight to Legazpi. From there, it's about
2 hours drive. The whale sharks gather at the bay of Donsol from February to
June. It's one spectacular place, and I'm sure you'll enjoy swimming side by side
with the giant.

When you first arrive to the place, you are required to watch a video informing
about the place and shark inside the managing office built by WWF. After that,
you'll be paying a conservation fee and boat charter fee. You'll board the small
boat with boatman and a guide. Boatman will locate the shark, and once guide's
approval has been given, you are allowed to swim with the giant. Sometimes
you can swim close to an hour with the shark, but most of the time, they will
dart through the murky water. Don't worry though. You'll have plenty of chances.
I think I was on boat around 8AM to 11AM, and saw more than 10 different species.

If you will be visiting the place Feb to Mar, bring a thin wet suit or rashguard. The
water temp is about 23 to 24C. Also, bring your own mask, snorkel, and fin. Fin
is especially important since those giants are fast swimmers eventhough they are
just crusing to feed on plankton.

There is an accomodation in Donsol called Fernando's Hotel. There email is
fernando@k-net.edu, but I'm not sure this address is still working. I believe
they can arrange whole trip if you have no idea about the area.

I'm planning to visit again next year, but seems like the volcano up there is getting
a bit active again... Good luck!

just saw this thread...spyder summed it up neatly. if you want more info though try the Philippine Paradise Divers Section. we have a thread there for Southern Leyte diving with Whale Sharks...not just snorkelling --> Whale Sharks in Southern Leyte

good luck on your trip!

Just wanted to let the last couple of posters know that they are replying to a thread that is 2 years old.

I think the ship has sailed on this one. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom