Donning on a wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iztok

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
More specifically Henderson Instadry.

I like my Henderson Instadry but I have problems donning it on. When I do quarry diving I just walk into the water and don it there it is easy as water makes it slide quickly. However I am getting ready to take it to the boat dive and one can't really jump in and put it on in the water and get back up for the rest of the gear.

Any hints on what to do to don the wetsuit?

I have an Instadry and I agree, it's tough to get in on. I bought some children's hair conditioner in a spray bottle, and if I squirt some into the arms and legs, it makes the suit slide on much easier. An adult version would probably work as well, but the kids stuff has fewer ingredients, so it's easier to tell what you're adding to the water.
Also, if you search "instadry" I think there are several threads on getting into them, including the old standby idea of putting your feet in plastic bags to help them slide through the legs, then pulling the bags off.

Hope this helps,
-c

Something I have learned about wetsuits. 1. If it is dry & you're dry, then it goes on So so. 2. If it is wet & you are wet, it goes on fairly easy. 3. If you are dry & it is wet or you are wet & it is dry, it is a PITA to get on. The lycra suits & plastic bags, as mentioned above does help. Also using a diluted soap solution on the arm & leg holes also helps.

Technique helps too ... turn legs inside out down to the calves, insert foot, the doubled over wetsuit aids in getting a grip on it at the roll, and you can pull better, unrolling the suit up wards as you go, when you get one leg at about knee level, start other leg, keep pulling at the roll to help with getting suit up, when just below your butt, reach behind you and grab suit with both hands at roll , bend forward at waist to get leverage to pull suit up, it will do it without having to pull up on your arms, repeat when you have it over your rear ... from then on it's just the normal impossable struggle :wink:

Johnson's Talcum power (baby powder), applied to the inside of the suit and your exposed legs

Good luck

Johnson's Talcum power (baby powder), applied to the inside of the suit and your exposed legs

Good luck

I have worn skin-in/Nylon-out suits most of my life and used powder. I started using a liquid spray soap solution last year and can’t believe it took me so long to convert. It makes it amazingly easy to slide in and does not care if it fully dries. I just got my first freediving suit with split cells (sometimes called open cell) which has at least 4x more friction than smooth neoprene skin. It takes more spray, but it is still amazingly easy to don.

My formula is ¼-½" of clear liquid hand soap from Costco in a spray bottle and filled with water. The soap happens to be anti-bacterial but was selected because it was on my self. I have worn a suit in a kayak without diving for many hours and have had no skin irritation. Most any non-petroleum soap or conditioner is fine.

I avoid spraying it in my Neoprene wetsuit socks because it makes it too slippery. Walking on uneven surfaces can make my foot slide to one side and end up with the sole off to one side. The only other downside I see is if you put too much in a hood and soap gets in your eyes. A light coating without drips is enough.

It is easy to try, let us know how you like it.

Last edited:
I use 'dive socks' to avoid getting blisters on my feet from my booties, but a side benefit of 'dive socks' is that they make getting the 'legs' on very easy as well. And 'yes', there really are dedicated 'dive socks'....one of the greatest things since sliced bread!

I use 'dive socks' to avoid getting blisters on my feet from my booties, but a side benefit of 'dive socks' is that they make getting the 'legs' on very easy as well. And 'yes', there really are dedicated 'dive socks'....one of the greatest things since sliced bread!

Just to be clear in my first post, I meant neoprene wetsuit socks, as opposed to conventional fabric socks or wetsuit boots or booties with hard soles. The added lubrication in a boot with a tennis-shoe sole may not be an issue. I will edit my post to prevent confusion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom