Done Diving Wet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW I have dove two types of drysuits. My first was a compressed neoprene. I fell in love with diving dry for the reasons mention. You could spend a day diving and never have that wet, cold feeling or prunie skin. But it was literally painful for me to get on because I had to bend my head to the side to duck under the front cross zip. And it was off the shelf unisex (which means it was tailored for a man’s build). I sold it. Be warned that compressed neoprene suits can be quite bulky/heavy.

After much research I decided on the Fusion Fit (women’s version). I now have a grand total of 4 dives on it but so far very happy with it. It is the newer version with production back in Canada. Fitting the Fusion boots was a bit of a pita but once done donning and doffing is a breeze. It is very comfortable and so far only damp at wrist seals. It is heavy when wet and does take a bit of time to dry but that is not an issue for me.

I did find the compressed neoprene easier to dive. To me it wasn’t that much different than diving wet. With the Fusion there is a bit more learning curve, I am more aware of the suit bubble and find it a bit more difficult to manage but this is much easier each dive.

Eric purchased a used Fusion Bullet with the older Drycore inner layer and again so far pleased with it, especially for the price. Yes the new Aircore version is nicer but I wouldn’t rule out a Drycore if in great shape at a good price. He elected to wear different boats, not the Fusion boots with his.

We dive it with a thin wool blend base and the Aqualung MK2 undergarment. Quarry temps in the low 60’s.

Crushed neoprene, DUI type, is a vastly different animal than compressed neoprene. it (crushed) is very tough stuff but offers very slight insulation over a trilam. Compressed neoprene is just as heavy as crushed given they start as the same thickness. Compressed offers some extra insulation over trilam or crushed and retains a lot of the stretch and flexibility of the original. There are also full thickness neoprene that offer a lot of insulation but change buoyancy with depth as they compress so they also give up insulation as they go deeper. Most compressed suits have much less buoyancy shift and more consistent insulation. If you want super tough go crushed, super comfort go compressed and if you want lightweight versatility go trilam.

Fit is one of the most important aspects, if you can get good fit off the rack cool (you do fit into the “average”) you can look for a used suit and really make out, until you want something without the time restraint and then a custom suit is the way to go

FWIW I have dove two types of drysuits. My first was a compressed neoprene. I fell in love with diving dry for the reasons mention. You could spend a day diving and never have that wet, cold feeling or prunie skin. But it was literally painful for me to get on because I had to bend my head to the side to duck under the front cross zip. And it was off the shelf unisex (which means it was tailored for a man’s build). I sold it. Be warned that compressed neoprene suits can be quite bulky/heavy.

After much research I decided on the Fusion Fit (women’s version). I now have a grand total of 4 dives on it but so far very happy with it. It is the newer version with production back in Canada. Fitting the Fusion boots was a bit of a pita but once done donning and doffing is a breeze. It is very comfortable and so far only damp at wrist seals. It is heavy when wet and does take a bit of time to dry but that is not an issue for me.

I did find the compressed neoprene easier to dive. To me it wasn’t that much different than diving wet. With the Fusion there is a bit more learning curve, I am more aware of the suit bubble and find it a bit more difficult to manage but this is much easier each dive.

Eric purchased a used Fusion Bullet with the older Drycore inner layer and again so far pleased with it, especially for the price. Yes the new Aircore version is nicer but I wouldn’t rule out a Drycore if in great shape at a good price. He elected to wear different boats, not the Fusion boots with his.

We dive it with a thin wool blend base and the Aqualung MK2 undergarment. Quarry temps in the low 60’s.

Note: you don't have to leave the Fusion boots attached to the suit. I don't. I often quarry dive with limited rinse facilities. Boots are often muddy and such from walking between water and gearing up location. If I left the boots attached, they would get the rest of my suit filthy very quickly in suit bag. I just keep the boots separate and that works better for me.

Note: you don't have to leave the Fusion boots attached to the suit. I don't. I often quarry dive with limited rinse facilities. Boots are often muddy and such from walking between water and gearing up location. If I left the boots attached, they would get the rest of my suit filthy very quickly in suit bag. I just keep the boots separate and that works better for me.
When we bought our drysuits we joined the local club that owns three quarries here in NC. The area is mostly grassed and has a dock and steps for access. We get touches of mud when we touch bottom :eek: but otherwise the diving is pretty clean. 3 of our trips have been over the past two weeks so I haven’t yet removed the boots. I love the fact that the suit is basically ready to go, just have to slide in and zip up.

When we bought our drysuits we joined the local club that owns three quarries here in NC. The area is mostly grassed and has a dock and steps for access. We get touches of mud when we touch bottom :eek: but otherwise the diving is pretty clean. 3 of our trips have been over the past two weeks so I haven’t yet removed the boots. I love the fact that the suit is basically ready to go, just have to slide in and zip up.

You're lucky. Even though there is grass where all the picnic tables are that we gear up on, a lot of rain and a lot of people turn the grounds into a mud pit. I've been up to my ankles in mud multiple times. Then there's the very fine gravel that gets into everything.

Boots are often muddy and such from walking between water and gearing up location. If I left the boots attached, they would get the rest of my suit filthy very quickly in suit bag. I just keep the boots separate and that works better for me.

RinseKit Rinse Kit Portable Shower Great for Camping Surfing

Works great for a quick rinse to minimize getting mud in the car. I also place everything in totes till it gets home and throughly rinsed then it packs if its going to get packed rather than hung

You're lucky. Even though there is grass where all the picnic tables are that we gear up on, a lot of rain and a lot of people turn the grounds into a mud pit. I've been up to my ankles in mud multiple times. Then there's the very fine gravel that gets into everything.
Yes. We don’t care for quarry diving but we really are fortunate to have this option available. They have even installed bubblers at the quarry we dive to even out the water temps and remove the thermocline typical of quarries. If it gets too warm we will have to go to one of the others that doesn’t have a bubbler yet. :wink:

Yes. We don’t care for quarry diving but we really are fortunate to have this option available. They have even installed bubblers at the quarry we dive to even out the water temps and remove the thermocline typical of quarries. If it gets too warm we will have to go to one of the others that doesn’t have a bubbler yet. :wink:

Cheaters, no thermoclin equal water temps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom