Dominican Republic safety and best snorkeling areas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dierenarts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Was planning a long weekend to DR for my wife's birthday, but have concerns by recent post by US State Dept. as follows:

Exercise increased caution in the Dominican Republic due to crime.

Violent crime, such as robbery, murder, and sexual assault, is common. The wide availability of weapons, the use and trade of illicit drugs, and a weak criminal justice system contribute to the high level of criminality.

Also, what area(s) are best for "used to be divers" now very strong snorkelers? Either off the beach reefs (but not crazy currents or waves) or dive shop trips?

I just got back to NY on Thursday from the DR. I had absolutely ZERO issues involving any crime. The area I stayed in was called Bayahibe and it is on the Southeastern coast. You can fly into either LRM or PUJ airports. The dive shop I was diving through was called ScubaFun and I highly recommend them. The people were complete aces. Water was amazing as well.

I go to the Domincan every year. No crime. I usually stay near Bavaro and Marrianna Sports dive center. I've done and snorkeled a few spots on that reef. Mild to no current, great bud and plenty of fish. Also snorkeled Catalina Island (beautiful brain coral), and Samanna peninsula( a few jelly fish, but not harmful) Saona island offers snorkeling but not much to see. Hope this helps

We are going for our second visit to the Dominican without any worries.The North/East coast of Dominican (Punta Cana, Bavaro) faces the Atlantic Ocean and the snorkeling is bad.The best snorkeling is out of the village of Bayahibe. It is on the southern coast of Dominican and faces the Caribbean Sea, so you will get the calm, clear, warm water. We stay at Dreams La Romana (not Dreams Dominicus La Romana) because it is only about a 10 minute walk from Bayahibe.
Welcome to Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
There is pretty good snorkeling off the beach at Dreams or you can take a snorkeling tour to Catalina island or Saona Island
We did the Saona Island snorkeling trip with Excursions Saona Canto de la Playa & Mano Juan in Punta Cana, Motorized Catamaran tours
I dive with and also highly recommend John from ScubaFun | Dive Center Bayahibe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom