Dominica or Saba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drodgers

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We're looking at these two as finalists for our spring 2009 trip. I would love to hear some thoughts on both from folks who have visited one or both. Thanks for your input!

My wife and I went to Dominica with a group of friends from Florida and had a great time. We stayed at the Fort Young hotel in Roseau (the capitol on the South West side of the island). The diving was great (sea horses and turtles on nearly every dive, frog fish on at least half of our dives and so much more). By the end of the week though (last day), it started it seem like more of the same. We also took part in some top side attractions, and Dominica has absolutely phenomenal above water attractions. I love diving and prefer to spend as much time as possible under water when on vacation, but I actually wish I had seen more of the island sites now. Diving was easy, the crew went above and beyond, and I canÃÕ think of a negative thing to say other than the bus ride from the airport to the hotel will have your heart beating hard with the dramatic drop offs and a few minor washout areas. No need to rent a car if youÃÓe staying in Roseau as everything is in walking distance. We had a room with a balcony directly on the water and it was worth the upgrade cost. If you do go there, get to know the crew. Our crew took us out to their local restaurants which were definitely more colorful and memorable than the more touristy places. Also remember that all prices are in EC (Eastern Caribbean dollars currently 1.00 US = 2.64 EC), so be prepared for the initial sticker shock.

Here is a link to the hotel we stayed at.
http://www.fortyounghotel.com/

Hope that helps. Regardless of which one you end up at, have a great vacation.

If you want great diving and great topside actives go with Dominica. Dive Dominica Diving Dominica with Castle Comfort Dive Lodge & Dive Dominica is where I started my professional diving career back in 1990 and I believe your group will not only enjoy the diving, but the people and the island. I have heard great things about the diving in Saba, but Dominica seems to more to offer than just great diving.

We dived with Sea Saba this past summer and had an absolutely wonderful time. I've never dived Dominica, but you can't go wrong with Sea Saba, a top notch outfit!

We've been to both, multiple times. It really depends on your comfort level in foreign countries and what else you want to do other than dive. Both have rugged terrain and rain forest, though Dominica has much, much more of it. Saba is definitely more visitor friendly and than Dominica - it's very small, insular and safe with more Europeans and Americans. Both are volcanic but Saba is a dry island that offers lots of hiking and good social activities in the evenings while Dominica is a wet, adventure island with more daytime, outdoor activities. Diving is also very different -- more deep, blue water pinnacles (weather pemitting) in Saba; more color and tropical variety in Dominica's Scott's Head. Saba dive shops are all good (we use Scout's Place/Saba Divers -- small groups, free nitrox.) In Dom, we highly recommend Nature Island Dive in Soufrierre.

Never dived either, but (correct me anyone who has been to either more recently) certainly as of a few years ago, Dominica was a lot cheaper than Saba.

:thumb:
We're looking at these two as finalists for our spring 2009 trip. I would love to hear some thoughts on both from folks who have visited one or both. Thanks for your input!

Looks like to me you're going to come out a winner because you can't make a bad choice. I've only been to Dominica and we stayed at the Castle Comfort Lodge and loved it. Great group of captains and DM's. Really good diving but not a lot of difference in the sites. But good diving none the less.

And there is so much to do topside. Great hikes to the waterfalls and this is the island where they filmed the last two movies of the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy.

I can't speak on Saba but I can give a thumbs up to Dominica.

I've been to both (Dominica in 2003 and Saba in 2007 and 2008). Both have very good diving and, as said earlier, very different conditions. Dominica tends to be a bit shallower and lots of walls. Saba has the famous pinnacles and both deep and shallow sites. Both have rain forest hiking, with Dominica having more of it. Neither has much in the way of beaches.

Having said that, if you've never been to either, go with Saba. Contact Lynn at Sea Saba (linked in post above) and she will be able to set up your diving, lodging, everything. Sea Saba is by far one of the best operations we have ever used.

We were there this fall when Hurricane Omar went through the area. Their shop was partially destroyed by the 60' waves that hit the harbor, but they were able to get us back in the water the third day after the storm when none of the other ops even had their boats back in the harbor.

I have been to both and even though I loved diving in Dominica I would recommend Saba, the diving was excellent as long as you feel comfortable with doing deeper dives, the boats were not crowded and the crew was professional. I also dealt with Lynn from Sea Saba and stayed at Juliana's which was wonderful. If you go to Saba, leave some time between flights for Win Air and know that they will email you wanting confirmation of a credit card even when you book over the internet. It is a safety thing. The island is so incredible and the trails are great. We did the hike (and it is a hike) to Mt Scenery which was an adventure of its own. Saba was definetely more expensive then Dominica. Now with Dominica, the diving was also really fun, lots of smaller sea life to see. We stayed at the Castle Comfort Lodge which was less touristic then Fort Young but that looked like a nice place too. We either took a local taxi or walked to places to eat, very informal and laid back. One other item was that we had planned to stay after our week of diving in a rain forest hotel but because of the amount of rain, we could not even get up to where we had made reservations for, we ended up driving to another beautiful area of Dominica and rented little "huts" right on the beach. So, being to both - either way you will have a blast but my favorite was Saba!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom