Dominica - need Accomodation advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tahitisweeti:
We are going on a southern carib cruise in Feb and would prefer to dive with a group separate from the cruise boat. (often times they are less advanced divers and you don't get to go where you really would like to go). Anyone have email addresses for some recommended dive operators? I have read some great trip reports on this thread and I bet you have some good advice. Thanks!

Depending on which cruise line you're diving with, they will either use Nature Island Divers or Dive Dominica. Contact both (just google their names) and see which is the operator for your ship, then try to book the other :wink:

I've been out with them both and really enjoyed them. Dominica is my very favorite Caribbean island!

BurBunny:
Depending on which cruise line you're diving with, they will either use Nature Island Divers or Dive Dominica. Contact both (just google their names) and see which is the operator for your ship, then try to book the other :wink:

I've been out with them both and really enjoyed them. Dominica is my very favorite Caribbean island!

I like Dominica as well but I find the island short on good restaurants. I think the diving is very good. Do you have a favorite site?

Anchorage Hotel & Dive Centre is a good place to stay. It's clean, the staff very friendly and you can do pier diving there also. It's really close to Scott's Head.

The first week was at castle Comfort - food was OK (couldn't eat the goat though), and the room was clean and comfortable (had no screens on the windows to keep a few bugs out at night). Other than that, we would stay there again.

Dive Dominica - no problems, they even loaned us dive gear for a few days when ours was lost, by the airlines. The shore diving was fun and easy.

The second week we stayed at the Zandoli Inn. We really liked it and would definitely stay there again. The owner, Linda, is a character and wants to keep her guests happy. The evening meals were excellent and we usually ate a small breakfast at Zandoli and had lunch wherever we found a restaurant. We rented a 4 wheel drive from Island rentals and drove all over the island, it was fun and we had no problems with the vehicle, or steep roads, just take it easy and use the horn a lot!! If you go there ask for room #5, we were in # 3 and it was nice. There is snorkelling there also, and I watched an octopus hunting and trapping its food.

We want to return to Dominica to explore more, in and out of the water.

BEM:
The first week was at castle Comfort - food was OK (couldn't eat the goat though), and the room was clean and comfortable (had no screens on the windows to keep a few bugs out at night). Other than that, we would stay there again.

Dive Dominica - no problems, they even loaned us dive gear for a few days when ours was lost, by the airlines. The shore diving was fun and easy.

The second week we stayed at the Zandoli Inn. We really liked it and would definitely stay there again. The owner, Linda, is a character and wants to keep her guests happy. The evening meals were excellent and we usually ate a small breakfast at Zandoli and had lunch wherever we found a restaurant. We rented a 4 wheel drive from Island rentals and drove all over the island, it was fun and we had no problems with the vehicle, or steep roads, just take it easy and use the horn a lot!! If you go there ask for room #5, we were in # 3 and it was nice. There is snorkelling there also, and I watched an octopus hunting and trapping its food.

We want to return to Dominica to explore more, in and out of the water.

I'll be staying at Castel Comfort next week. I think my plan has breakfast and dinner but no lunch. What does one do for lunch at CC?

When you have breakfast, they will ask if you will want a lunch. It was the usual stuff, hamburgers, chicken, salads etc. It was OK.

We had the dinner plan. It was usually two choices and they asked, at breakfast, which one we wanted. If we didn't want either one, they could provide a alternative (usually chicken.)

There are a couple of gas stations within walking distances where you can get snacks and beer. And the supermarket in Roseau. Lots of options.

BEM:
When you have breakfast, they will ask if you will want a lunch. It was the usual stuff, hamburgers, chicken, salads etc. It was OK.

We had the dinner plan. It was usually two choices and they asked, at breakfast, which one we wanted. If we didn't want either one, they could provide a alternative (usually chicken.)

There are a couple of gas stations within walking distances where you can get snacks and beer. And the supermarket in Roseau. Lots of options.

Thanks, that's good to know. A nice warm soup after two morning dives would be nice.

Spoke to a contact a couple of days ago and he had some interesting comments. He was happy with the professionalism of both Dive Dominica at Castle Comfort and also with the dive operation at Anchorage Hotel.

Then he went on to mention that the cruise ships use Dive Dominica - and that, I think, explains some of the conflicting reports about Dive Dominica. Yes - lots of people say how good they are, and then you hear conflicting comments about "being herded".

My contact also mentioned that he'd taken a look at the Evergreen Hotel which is next door to the Anchorage Hotel and Castle Comfort. He reckonned it was the classier of the three and said that if you wanted combine quiet and diving to stay there and then walk 2 minutes round to one of the others for diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom