Dominica - need Accomodation advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaKay

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I am travelling to Dominica at the end of this month (Nov) with my boyfriend. We will be there for 4 nights/5 days and plan to dive for 3 days (am dives).

We've been doing quite a bit of research and have decided on a dive location (south island - Scott's Head), dive shop (Nature Island Diving), and transportation (renting a 4WD).

The only thing we haven't figured out yet is the accomodations. The island is pretty small, but I understand that because of the mountain and rainforest terrain, it can take a while to get from point A to point B.

We're looking for a place that is:
- Nice ambiance and atmosphere for a couple (no screaming kids, please :))
- Convenient location for driving to Scott's Head in the am for diving -- then driving/exploring/hiking in the afternoons.
- Comfortable, clean, etc. Willing to spend a little extra $$ for a nice place.

So far, the place's we've identified that might be of interest are:

- Zandoli
- Cocoa Cottages
- Crescent Moon Cabins
- Exotica Cottages
- Evergreen Hotel
- Jungle Bay Lodge (I think this may be too far - 1.5 hours to Scott's Head?)

We would really appreciate any advice on accomodations! Has anyone stayed at these places? What did you think? Were they convenient (driving time) to Scott's Head? Any recommendations?

Thank you!!!

I will be in Dominica at the end of this month also. I'm staying at Castle Comfort Lodge. Check them out. It is very close to ScottsHead and has no kids.

Do you know the water temp and vis at the end of this month?

ScubaKay:
Hi,

I am travelling to Dominica at the end of this month (Nov) with my boyfriend. We will be there for 4 nights/5 days and plan to dive for 3 days (am dives).

We've been doing quite a bit of research and have decided on a dive location (south island - Scott's Head), dive shop (Nature Island Diving), and transportation (renting a 4WD).

The only thing we haven't figured out yet is the accomodations. The island is pretty small, but I understand that because of the mountain and rainforest terrain, it can take a while to get from point A to point B.

We're looking for a place that is:
- Nice ambiance and atmosphere for a couple (no screaming kids, please :))
- Convenient location for driving to Scott's Head in the am for diving -- then driving/exploring/hiking in the afternoons.
- Comfortable, clean, etc. Willing to spend a little extra $$ for a nice place.

So far, the place's we've identified that might be of interest are:

- Zandoli
- Cocoa Cottages
- Crescent Moon Cabins
- Exotica Cottages
- Evergreen Hotel
- Jungle Bay Lodge (I think this may be too far - 1.5 hours to Scott's Head?)

We would really appreciate any advice on accomodations! Has anyone stayed at these places? What did you think? Were they convenient (driving time) to Scott's Head? Any recommendations?

Thank you!!!

You can see my dive report for Dominica at
http://www.ces.clemson.edu/ece/crb/dawson/scubareports/scubareports.htm

You need try to stay in the upper unit of the Gallette Cottage that Nature Dives operates. If you cant get the upper unit stay in the lower unit.
If you cant get either unit in the Cottage, you need talk to Karen at Natures Dive.
karen moise [natureidive@cwdom.dm]
She will help figure out what to do about lodging.
She can explain all the options that are available to you and help work out something.

darren

Interesting thread. Hope to go in July. Can you post/PM after your trip with how it went? Have come across conflicting comments about Castle Comfort but the guy from the Marine Reserve www.dominicamarinereserves.com that I met recently was happy to recommend Dive Dominica (based at CC). I also met some folks who had stayed at the Anchorage Hotel and they were very happy with the diving and the accommodation and would go back. Apparently there is shore diving at Anchorage as well as at Castle Comfort but I don't know how good it is.

Also - if you have any suggestions of where to stay inland. We're thinking of taking a few days to do the rainforest/waterfalls/lakes thing.

pelan-pelan:
Interesting thread. Hope to go in July. Can you post/PM after your trip with how it went? Have come across conflicting comments about Castle Comfort but the guy from the Marine Reserve www.dominicamarinereserves.com that I met recently was happy to recommend Dive Dominica (based at CC). I also met some folks who had stayed at the Anchorage Hotel and they were very happy with the diving and the accommodation and would go back. Apparently there is shore diving at Anchorage as well as at Castle Comfort but I don't know how good it is.

Also - if you have any suggestions of where to stay inland. We're thinking of taking a few days to do the rainforest/waterfalls/lakes thing.

You can PM when I get back, Dec 2, and I will let you know how it was at Castel Comfort. I stayed at the Fort Young Hotel last time I was there and dove with Dive Dominca, same dive outfit that does CC Lodge . They were fine. I know that CC will not be as nice as Fort Young but I like that I can shore dive there and they don't misled you in their adverts. Thew island is nice too.

Can not recommend a place inland or the rainforest since I did not do that.

Thanks PF, will do. If you hear anything about Papilotte which is inland, let us know. It was mentioned as a possibility.

If you get the opportunity to say Hi to Izzy the Manager for the Marine Reserve - he's a really helpful guy.

Have a good time. Good luck with whale sitings.

We are going on a southern carib cruise in Feb and would prefer to dive with a group separate from the cruise boat. (often times they are less advanced divers and you don't get to go where you really would like to go). Anyone have email addresses for some recommended dive operators? I have read some great trip reports on this thread and I bet you have some good advice. Thanks!

pelan-pelan:
Thanks PF, will do. If you hear anything about Papilotte which is inland, let us know. It was mentioned as a possibility.

If you get the opportunity to say Hi to Izzy the Manager for the Marine Reserve - he's a really helpful guy.

Have a good time. Good luck with whale sitings.

Papilotte is a hotel? Izzy is the manager at CC?

Izzy is the Manager for the Marine Reserve - not Castle Comfort.

Papilotte is a location (I think) but also has a guest house there - in the interior.

Back
Top Bottom