Dome port assembly for Tokina 10-17mm fisheye lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would suggest using a cheap rubber/plastic strap wrench. Do not use one with a metal handle. Carefully unscrew it without applying too much direct pressure downwards. Sometimes two wrenches are handy.

I use these all the time for ports, lights, etc. that get stuck or have a vacuum lock. Very handy tools for your dive kit.

Jack

Ok finally got my fish eye lens and 8" dome assembly and did a check out in the pool. But having trouble removing the port body from the port. I screwed it on as instructed in the manual and used it without a problem but could not take it apart afterwards. I didnt leave it on for long either as the instructions warned of it becoming difficult to remove if left on for a long period of time. Have had a few others try to unscrew it as well with no luck. Any advise?

Thanks in advance,

Nishan

I bought a set of strap wrenches in the automotive accessories part of the store. The same kind that are used for removing oil filters when changing the oil on your car. There are two types, one has a metal strap and one has a rubber strap. The rubber one I think would be better, less likely to mark up your port body. I bought a set of two and they work pretty well.

ahh... should have looked at the second page first... I see someone already made the same suggestion :)

Thanks guys. I tried a rubber strap wrench but no luck. it slides and eventually slipped off. This thing feels like its frozen solid. Been trying to unscrew it for a week now!

Anyway will keep trying. maybe persistence will pay off!

I guess you might try soaking it in vinegar and warm water. You need to try to get the strap wrench really snugged down tight to keep it from slipping.

Jack

i had the same problem my wife had some gripe rubber gloves i got her to hold onto the port while i griped the extension with the gloves putting my hand partially in the port and with a lot of effort it unscrews,i have to go thru with this every time i dread having to take it off next time i will put some more ikelite grease on and see if that makes a difference good luck
Steve

Since that port extension has 2 cut out areas for the port locks to pass thru, you can open a vise far enough to set the extension into. Tighten the vise until it is touching the flat spots. Turn the dome to loosen. This only works on the 5510.10 & 5510.11.
portclamp.jpg

I will try a vice, rubber gloves and all. But if its this hard to get off after every dive trip I might not be using this port very often. Have been using the 6 inch dome and the flat port and never had a problem. This one is a real pain and I'm worried about being too rough with it. Not a cheap toy and I just got it.

But thanks guys. Will give it a few more tries and let you know what happens.

CHeers,

Nishan

I will try a vice, rubber gloves and all. But if its this hard to get off after every dive trip I might not be using this port very often. Have been using the 6 inch dome and the flat port and never had a problem. This one is a real pain and I'm worried about being too rough with it. Not a cheap toy and I just got it.

But thanks guys. Will give it a few more tries and let you know what happens.

CHeers,

Nishan
i had to get my port extention off today as i am sending back for the new 4 clip port extention and glove would not budge it so i used a good old fashion oil filter remover clamp, you clamp it on the top lip which is about 5mm-6mm wide then hold onto to the dome between your knees and turn it worked like a charm and less chance of damage using other methods,make sure you get the ones with the rubber inside lining that should do the job
let me know how you went,steve:)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom