http://www.diveheart.org/

Dolphin slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmt489:
Actually, not true. Dolphin is regularly eatten in Japan. In fact, you can buy it in a can, similar to tuna fish.
I'm not quite sure where you get that from, but I just asked all the teachers in the staff room here and after pulling faces at the thought of eating dolphin no-one has ever seen it in a can!! I have NEVER seen dolphin for sale, and I have also NEVER seen it in a can. That's after living here for 6 years. Of course the teachers I just asked have all lived here a lot longer! :wink:

cmt489:

As I said in an earlier post, there are a couple of places (only) that still have a dolphin hunt. Taiji (quoted in your links) is the most famous of them, and even most Japanese don't agree with it. As for misrepresenting other fish (dolphins and porpoises) as whale meat I'm sure that happens sometimes. However I'm equally sure that it's not that prevalent as it would be a criminal offense here. The Japanese have very strict laws about food in general and demand a very high quality. Also, it VERY rare that we even see whale meat offered for sale at all. There are more than 80 million people in Japan and if eating this sort of thing was as prevelant as you suggest they would need to catch a lot more than the few hundred whales, (ok, lets say they cheat and it's actually a couple of thousand!) to satisfy the supposed huge market that exists. Basically it's rubbish, and it's not happening on the scale that people try to make out.

As for selling canned dolphin AS dolphin.....sorry, it doesn't happen. The fact of that is in the link I provided and US/Canadian citizens have just as much, if not more, chance of consuming some dolphin in their tin of tuna as anyone else.
What they do in Taiji is not nice - there are slaughter houses all over the world that are also rather unpleasant places.

Taken from the CBS link:

"Fishermen in Taiji hunt dolphins from October to April. They've caught more than 60 striped dolphins so far this year under the government quota system. The meat is usually canned and sold in supermarkets."

From the One World UK Link:

"EIA investigations have revealed that C Two-Network, a Japanese supermarket chain and a member of the Tesco Group, sells canned cetaceans products in 32 of its 78 stores and fresh cetaceans products in 10 stores. Tesco purchased almost 95% of the Japanese company in July 2003.

The canned products are sourced from the Nissui and Kyokuyo whaling companies. These companies own shares in the whaling fleet used for Japan’s self-professed “scientific” whaling research and sell much of the meat from the hundreds of minke, Bryde’s and sei whales that are killed each year in the name of science. According to staff working at the supermarkets, C Two-Network also sells fresh meat from “toothed whales”, a generic term for dolphins, porpoises, and small whales hunted in Japan’s coastal waters."

And taken from the Japan Times link:

"First, the cetaceans most commonly killed around Japan are not whales but dolphins and porpoises, yet all the meat from these catches that makes it to market is labeled "kujira " (whale). In fact the market term hides a whole array of species -- minke whale, sperm whale, blue whale, humpback whale, fin whale, Baird's beaked whale, short-finned pilot whale, Risso's dolphin, bottlenose dolphin, striped dolphin and Dall's porpoise. (I guess iruka is seen by marketers as conveying the wrong image -- few people would consider eating the friendly creature that starred in "Flipper")."

With respect to the link you provided, it deals specifically with dolphin safe practices for tuna fishery practices and not specifically the dolphin hunts and what happens to that meat.

In any event, clearly we will not likely agree on this issue. And yes, before you ask, I have been to Japan, my ex-husband lived in Japan for years and my ex-brother in law lived there even longer (approximately 10 years) and his wife is also Japanese. When I saw this news clip it was discussed and none of them denied the practice.

cmt489:
With respect to the link you provided, it deals specifically with dolphin safe practices for tuna fishery practices and not specifically the dolphin hunts and what happens to that meat.

Yes it does - because in terms of numbers most dolphins caught are part of that industry.

The Tesco owned C-Two Network is a tiny orginization by Japanese standards. It is owned by a UK company - it's not even really Japanese. I'm not sure which part of Japan it operates in as they don't exist in most of the country - they'd need thousands of outlets to have that kind of presence.
I am not taking issue with the fact that some dolphin etc is eaten in Japan. I am taking issue with the suggestion that this is a widespread practice that everyone does. That is simply not true. Whale meat, or whatever it is that is called that, is NOT widely available all over Japan - whether it's fresh or canned. Canned dolphin is to the best of my knowledge non-existant under that name. As the Japan Times piece says - no-one would eat it if they knew what it was. (except of course the local people from Taiji and a couple of other very small areas).

Still - maybe it's better to believe newspapers rather than the people who live here or come from here - after all, newspapers never get anything wrong anyway do they? It's also interesting to note that the Japan Times runs such an article. Why would a Japanese newspaper run such a thing if they knew that everyone was busy eating whales and dolphins? If that was true then it wouldn't be newsworthy - it'd be about as interesting as a US newspaper running a story......"Extra...extra.....the US kills cows for food!!!!!"

cmt489:
When I saw this news clip it was discussed and none of them denied the practice.
Neither am I...see above.

It's a question of the scale.

raya:
Hahahahahaha....Well I really like surf and turf(monk and steak) washed down with a nice glass of chateau neuf de papes(I think thats how you spell it!)thats my holy water!!!

got a couple of cases of that ..........1998 mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

well did have, had a few bottles lately!

that must cost you a bit over there!?!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom