http://www.diveheart.org/

Dolphin slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbilicska

Contributor
Reaction score
I just received this e-mail . I thought some of the members might be interested in it.

Fishing boats in Japan are now putting to sea to herd pods of dolphins, pilot whales and other whale species into bays where they will be brutally slaughtered for meat or taken into a lifetime of captivity.

Every year, Japanese fishermen, with the support of the Japanese government, slaughter more than twenty thousand dolphins. And now Japan plans to extend the hunt to include humpback whales!

Take Action to Stop this Hunt!

This practice is killing magnificent, feeling animals, and endangering dolphin and whale populations. Furthermore, this hunt is also hurting the people of Japan. Dolphin and whale meat sold to the Japanese public contains high levels of toxic heavy metals and organochlorines, making it dangerous for human consumption.

Demand that Japanese law end this brutal slaughter of intelligent marine mammals and protect the health of the people of Japan.

Thank you for making a difference,

Jenny McKinley
Care2 & ThePetitionSite Team

See the website http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/391762699

Well I´ve just signed up, and I think that we on scubaboard being so many should really get together on this. Maybe we can just make a difference, or maybe not, but at the end of the day, all we can do is try, and us as divers and non divers, came into this world to enjoy the underwater life, and that means protecting it and all its creatures.

raya:
.......and that means protecting it and all its creatures.

Hmmmmmmm.........so I have to give up eating fish? Nah...sorry....I like sashimi too much! :wink:

I just think one needs to be a little careful with this sort of thing. As I read the first post in this thread it would appear that you'd think that every fishing boat in Japan is off to catch dolphins. That's really not true at all - there are only a couple of places that still do it. One of the main reasons that they do is actually to catch dolphins for the marine parks around the world - so the best way to show disapproval for this is not to visit the parks. They remain very busy though.
Culturally the Japanese have eaten whalemeat for centuries - so asking them not to is a bit like asking Americans or Europeans not to eat beef.

It's very easy to get carried away with the emotional tugs in all of this, and forget how we all behave ourselves!

Wea.

I need no Delphin flesh anyhow,well they hang in the fisher seine sometimes as

also the Turttels.i loved it to play with the Turttels on the pier as lass in the ream

of the fishmarkethall.today the fisher drop the turtels back in the sea mostly wail

not much folks eat them (i do),i eatet much things of tasty all fish.No dolphin at

all,there are not much dolphins in the wthere at my homehabors.The mediteran

dolphin is also a littel dum but realy frindly when u ever ream one no one kill them

seeket.known is also that that one hangs somtimes on the

tugfisherfastboats....what ever they will not die out i say about...

7*

This happens annually, I remeber last years videos that were taken. Funny the majority of the Dolphins I saw, were slaughtered only a few where taken for marine parks. This debate will go on forever on here until it is stopped.

Kim:
That's really not true at all - there are only a couple of places that still do it. One of the main reasons that they do is actually to catch dolphins for the marine parks around the world - so the best way to show disapproval for this is not to visit the parks.

Actually, not true. Dolphin is regularly eatten in Japan. In fact, you can buy it in a can, similar to tuna fish.

Back
Top Bottom