Dolphin Revenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dolphins are very smart and I have seen documentary and heard that they would get together in group and keep the young ones in center when attacked by shark or someone. Also I have read and heard that they ram into shark or other predator, but I have never heard they follow one particular shark and kill it, that’s little amazing.

I wonder how much of the several days of stalking the human observers saw.
And how they (the humans) knew it was the same shark.

Perhaps some observations were interpreted.

I would be going after someone if they killed a family member. :wink:

David, I agree with you regarding emotions and mammals completely, I just don't like placing human motives/intent in the minds of animals, they certainly are emotionl but they also have both instictive sand learned behavoirs (so do humans). Not an animal behavoiist, just observation of dogs I have owned,

I think the reason the charter captains thought it was the same dolphins was because there is a resident group in the bay there that hang around and they know them and can identify the various individuals, even given them names, human names, evidence indicates in my research that dolphins give themselves names but probably not Fred or Bob etc. I think as I gathered from the conversation that went on for quite a while as the guys chatted when not busy was that the bull shark that took the juvenile was seen also about the area and it was the one they saw killed so I think they assume he was the one that killed the juvenille.

Anyways, thanks for the insigts, very interesting creatures.

N

We have here no Bullsharks but Dolphins,Dolfins aer nice but the Mediteran edition is a

litel bit lam and dum.No shark kills them more the spearfish when they feel fear bevor

them or ataket,well there is the European Northern an Eastsea Dolphin the,the Pig

wale he is not often and killing him will cost a fisher his boat as castum autorisation.

http://www.heringloh.de/schweinswal.htm

DavidPT40:
Nemrod, animals aren't robots. Their emotions tell them how to respond (especially mammals).
Not always. Most animals need to reason to some degree in order to survive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom