Dolphin encounter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello aedavidson,

The pics are very cool. I think they are just fine the way the are....

BTW, my daughter lives in Centreville, Va. She is a Fairfax Co Police officer...

best regards, Glenn

Hello aedavidson,

Were the dolphin spotted? The Atlantic Spotted Dolphin are amazing creatures. I read somewhere the they don't survive in captivity. All of the captive dolphin that I know of are the Bottle Nose Dolphins.

About 1/2 mile form my home is http://www.dolphinsplus.com They have a swim with the dolphins program. I know not everyone agrees the captive dolphin programs. I think the captive dolphins are proud to be ambassadors for their kind and interact with dumb Homo Sapiens.

Glenn

Hey Glenn,

These were bottlenose dolphins from the best thst I could tell. I have a friend that I coach youth football with that is a fairfax county police officer as well. Tell your daughter that the dark blue crew cab ford is not to be pulled over:wink: Since I posted I have learned that there is a dolphin research center on blackbird caye not far from where we encountered these dolphins. They do not keep captive animals but it may explain their comfort level. I have corresponded and sent pictures to them to see if they are "part of the group that they study".

I had an awesome encounter with bottlenoses on the way to and from elphinstone in egypt by rib. We met the dophins going out but they didn't want to play - on the way back we hung onto the side of the rib and (slowly and very carefully!) drove on with the dolphins bowriding next to our heads.

21095369_a4a1eb693b_m.jpg

21095370_85fb5ba9eb_m.jpg

What awesome dolphin vids and photos. We were in Utila last week and were lucky enough to quickly snorkel with some rough toothed dolphins. I had a brief enounter with an adult and baby for about 30 sec about 6 ft from me. I was so excited that I tried to make some dolphin sounds to see if they would hang out and I did hear them make a lot of clicking sounds.

Have had 1 dolphin encounter of sorts. Was doing a surface swim back to a boat in choppy conditions. Was on my back and saw a fin stick out around 20m away. Couldn't tell if it was a dolphin or shark, but a few seconds later I saw a some fins bunched together.

Couldn't see them underwater since viz was pretty bad (~2m-3m) but did hear them making their dolphin sounds. Those left on the boat said they were circling us for a while during out surface swim.

I can tell you this much; if my daughter EVER has an encounter with a dolphin while diving we'll have to have her wetsuit steam cleaned!!!

She is totally obsessed with those creatures and would completely freak!

A few years ago I had a great dolphin experience, which happenened because of a sad accident.

I was on a livaboard to the Brothers. The currents were so strong there that my holiday buddy after three dives was totally exhausted. One of the divers was a surgeon and had the medical experience to see the next morning that my buddy was dying from lack of glucosis if we wouldn't do something about it.
We forced a bottle of coke into him and set of straight away for the coast. The weather was to rough to sail, but we had no choice. After hours of all being seasick we reached the coastline, where an ambulance was already waiting. They hurried him to the local hospital, and from there he was transported to Hurghada hospital. Just in time, he survived although he missed out on his holidays.

We couldn't go back to the Brothers because of the weather, so had to stay near the coastline of Southern Egypt.
A disappointment, but what else can you do? One day we were moored into a shallow lagoon to do a dive nearby. When coming back from the dive the crew told us there were dolphins. We took snorkels, masks and fins and swam over there.

First I saw a group of dolphins coming towards us. I counted, but lost track at 35, because an other equally big group appeared. They all came to play with us, swimming around us, rubbing against us, swimming belly-to-belly. I have a rule never to tough underwater life, but this was just to much. I mean when they rub themselves against you, what do you do?

We went out of the water for lunch, but the dolphins were living there, so anytime we could just jump in and play with them. I missed most of my Brothers trip that time, but what I got back in return was so special!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom