Dolphin Dive at Anthony Key Resort from Carnival Legend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lhhoback

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So usually I always bypass the idea of interacting with the dolphins based on how poorly most of these animals are maintained and what has to occur to get many of these animals into their dog and pony shows. I figure that the time will come when I get to interact with these critters in their natural habitat.

But in reading up on AKR and their Dolphin program...I found myself intrigued. Certainly sounds like they are headed in the right direction with their program and actually breeding their own dolphins rather than relying on wild capture. I also like the idea that the dolpins are free to iteract or not based upon their desire that particular day.

So with that being said...I was thinking about booking the dolphin dive on our trip to Roatan in Feb. Wondering who has any experience with this dive? How did it go? Would you recommend it? I know its expensive...but I don't mind spending the extra dollars if it goes to support a well run dolphin program. (and yes I realize quite a bit goes to support Carnival too
wink.gif
)

We have dove Roatan before and loved it. Figured I wanted to go with the ship excursion this time either the two tank or the dolphin dive to see Anthony Key Resort.

Looking forward to your replies.

My wife and I did the dolphin encounter at AKR maybe 3 years ago. My wife loved it and it appears to be a fairly well run operation, but I can't speak to the dolphin health, care, feeding, etc as I'm not a marine biologist. On the flip side on a dive trip this past August to Laguna Beach Resort on Utila, we encountered a pod of dolphins between morning dives and swam and snorkeled with them for more than 30 minutes. This kind of encounter in their natural habitat far surpasses the enclosed encounter. To find the dolphins deciding to swim with humans when they could have easily passed us by was amazing.

I too normally bypass commercial dolphin interactions, as in agreement with you, I normally find the animals. While I am no longer formally employed as a biologist, my formal education was in Wildlife Management. One of the most tragic senses played out time and time again throughout the world is when people treat "wild" animals the same as domesticated ones for the exploitation of money... You cannot treat a wolf the same as you treat a dog; you cannot treat a leopard the same as a house cat, you cannot treat a dolphin the same as ... well I hope that you get the point. AKR IMO did an excellent job caring for both the dolphin's physical needs as well as their social needs too. I spoke with great lengths with their staff Marine Biologists (who also overseas their research/education center) on the region's ecosystems, future research and the purpose, responsibility and stewardship of the resort's dolphins. I was so impressed that I am planning future trips with high school students to AKR.

Last May, I just came off of three weeks of intensive dive training on Utilia, afterwards my Girlfriend and I spent a week relaxing at AKR. We snorkeled (she is currently a non-diver) with the dolphins and it was one of the most memorable and remarkable experiences I have ever had in the water. I have encounter non-captive dolphins in the open ocean, and that experience did not compare with the interaction we had with these animals. They swam around in the lagoon and did dolphin things, yet being inquisitive being kept checking us out and seeing if we wanted to join in the "dolphin" games...which we gladly did.

IMO, for a ship's diving excursion you will be extremely satisfied. When you do your dive you will be in a lagoon that is open to the ocean and you will see that the dolphins are truly content there. Every now and then they do leave, but they always come back. The dolphins we swam with would bring us rocks so we could play fetch with them. Banana leaves also work well as they fly similar to a Frisbee. Dolphins also will play with you if you play like them...roll over on your back and swim under them...but be prepared if you do that they might not leave you alone as this is "Big Time" fun for them.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

Happy Bubbles,

~Oldbear~
:yeahbaby:

Our dive was out in open water in 60' on a flat, sandy bottom so you can stand w/o harming anything and the dolphins can rest on the sand as part of the interaction.

The animals aren't pressured either, we met our three dolphins in the pens (lagoon?) but one decided as we re-boarded our boat that he didn't want to join us for the dive. No pressure from RIMS or AKR so we had two dolphins on our dive. You still get to spend a lot of time with them although in our case, the absence of the mature dolphin meant the younger ones took the 1st 10mins. to go tearing around the reef, play with seaweed etc. - all just about out of visual range of most of our group. I watched the videographer and looked where he did so saw more of that than the rest of my group.

When the dolphins did show up a few minutes later, they stayed and played and liked to be touched (everywhere except on top of their heads) - even "posed" for pictures. For about 1/2 hr.

They also like bright shiny things. On a dolphin dive in Curacao one couldn't stop admiring herself in my housing port. I got some really good close up video of that.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom