Doing the "Math" in Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By "Advanced Math" and your son's age, I would guess you are talking about a 2nd year high school algebra course or so.

If that's the case, I wouldn't consider any of the MOD, bouyancy, or partial pressure questions "advanced." They are really simple algebra, what he's probably learned in algebra I. The physics is also high school level and I think partial pressures are usually tought in chemistry too.

I've never seen the calculations for nitrogen loading, but from the discussion here and from my knowledge of what's going on, it seems like a problem with a constant input rate at a given pressure with an exponentially decaying outgassing rate. Figuring a total nitrogen loading would involve calculus. This is probably a 1st or 2nd semester of college type problem to get a solution out. But, he might be able to do a graphical or numerical solution to get a partial answer.

Hello susan 6868:

Gas loads based on halftime are the same as for radioactive decay. The derivation of the equation requires calculus, but the final equation is straightforward.

That decay - or loss of nitrogen - can indeed be represented on a graph. No calculations are actually needed. One only need take one half of the previous amount and do this progressively to smaller amounts all as a funtion of time. The halftime is that duration required to reach 1/2 of the previous amount of nitrogen:wink:

Dr Deco :doctor:

I guess you could try Bruce Wienke's "Technical Diving in Depth". It's not exactly easy going but pretty much all the scuba related maths you'll ever need is in there.

Don't forget the NOAA Diving Manual. It is not only a very good diving reference but also a good starter for math use. If he needs, or wants, to go deeper it sets the foundation very well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom