Doing the Certification dives, WHERE?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

getting certified is enough stress.
Why add the ocean and boats? Get
the dives over and then a trip to the
ocean when it can be enjoyed by the
newly certified diver.:D

IMO, you should stop counting change and go with the best instructor you can find and afford.

I consider Kevin and Charlotte the BEST and their pay for instructing is a great value to any of their students, which in this case will be Zellet. The folks at El Mar are good people as well which is a reason for the :confused: about getting certified.
Zellet will IMHO be getting the best instruction and I want Zellet to be with his friends when he gets certified and Stacy and Vic are..

Why pinch a few pennies? I will have to pay for a PIC, referal, then dang Zellet will be wanting my DC so I will have to buy a new one and WHY not look for a bargin? Low price doesn't mean cheap at a quality dive shop..

My advice would be to do your checkout dives in the environment that best matches where you plan on doing most of your dives. OW weekend usually involves a lot of skills and not much in way of actual pleasure diving so if you plan on diving in lakes why spend the money on the ocean trip. However if most of your diving is going to be salt water why not get checked out in the environment that you plan on diving in the future.

Scott

I think Hoover made the best point of all. Make your ow dives in the lake in somewhat poor conditions that way his anxiety will be greatly reduced when he/she dives in Better conditions. Try to think of it this way if you are diving in clear water and the condition changes he will be better prepared for the low viz which in turn lower anxiety more controlled diver. Just my two cents.

Whatever you decide good luck!!!

Heya Fish..

Being spoiled, I did my OW certs in nice, warm, pretty clear water at San Carlos. I then headed off to Cuba, Cancun, and Cozumel for my next 30 dives. All was wonderful until my new dive buddies invited me to dive the Yukon in San Diego.
Cold water (first 7mm wetsuit, hood, etc.)
Relatively low visibility
Current and waves were not an issue, but I did manage to drop a fin before entering the water. Net result is that I aborted the first dive.
Based on my limited experience (9 months, 60 dives), I would go for the lake or the San Diego. I dove Pleasant once, 1 ft viz, cold below 30ft worst dive conditions I ever experienced, but a good practice navigation dive.

Now..off to Roatan in 3 wks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom