Doing my Dive Master in PG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orenbvip

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking to do my DMT in Dec in PG. And wondering if this was a good idea? How is the diving there? Ive been to thailand, bali, pula weh, komodo, and lembeh. How does it compare? What types of stuff can I see. Also are the conditions (Vis, temp) good in Dec? Lastly, who do you recommend for my DMT in PG?

Thanks, Any info is greatly appreciated!

ideal spot

many SB members, including me, did their DM in PG. Best variety, night life, affordable and reachable. Read some older threads about it. I believe there is long one about DMs in PG

You'll read a lot about DiveDojo. This store closed but Ethei, the instructor freelances from another shop now in PG. Send me a note for his email :)

december is fine I believe. I would recommend 6weeks+ for your DM though

I dove PG El Galleon Resort last March and had great time not only diving but socializing at the Point Bar which is part of El Galleon. Great bar with lots of interesting people I met from all over the world. Food was also great with a barbecue on Thursdays. Dive masters were top notch with safety number one. My favorite dives were the canyons and verde island a pinnacle rising from over 100 feet with lots of current and fish. Seen some big tuna on the way down, with a big variety of other fish including moray eels, lots of current with a down current also. Two ladies got grabbed by the current and the dive master had to go get them and assist them back. El Galleon has the only dock so it makes it nice for loading and landing from dives. Good luck

I took my DM at Coco Divers in Coco Beach Resort. Great staff, very welcome, easy to talk with and there are no limits on how many dives you can take when getting the DM course. Puerto Galera is one of the best places in the world to dive at. Like what h2odragon1 said, drift, rec, wreck, deep, night, etc., they have it in PG. For me, its still the best place to dive...

Hi orenbvip

I would definitely recommend PG (sabang)!! I did my DM here in April and May and now living in Sabang- l love it here so much. Diving is great as mentioned above. Huge variety of dive sites; you will never get bored. I went with Cptn Greggs with Mark Cox. Ethei is around and he's also fantastic. If you go with Cptn Greggs you will get sooooo many dives in- they don't limit it either in amount of dives or the time for your Dm training- they want you to get as much experience as possible and philosophy is 'Just Go Diving!!' training is really really good. PM if you need Mark's or Ethei's email/phone no.

Hi orenbvip

I would definitely recommend PG (sabang)!! I did my DM here in April and May and now living in Sabang- l love it here so much. Diving is great as mentioned above. Huge variety of dive sites; you will never get bored. I went with Cptn Greggs with Mark Cox. Ethei is around and he's also fantastic. If you go with Cptn Greggs you will get sooooo many dives in- they don't limit it either in amount of dives or the time for your Dm training- they want you to get as much experience as possible and philosophy is 'Just Go Diving!!' training is really really good. PM if you need Mark's or Ethei's email/phone no.

Yup, Mark Cox and Ethei are great guys and instructors. I miss them both! i did my DM with Ethei (while he was at Divedojo) and can,t say enough good about him. He is extremely competent and experienced and will teach you as much as you are ready to learn! Also, he is a very experiences Tech diver and if you are the least bit interested on this side of diving, he is a great source for training! He if so much fun and great to be around, yet still very serious about the diving/ teaching/ learning!

Definetly plan on 5-6 weeks to do it, and try do finnish all the academic work before you get there. Or else all your evenings will be filled with reading and homework. And believe me, when you are there, that will be the last thing you'll want to do....:cool2:

Yup, Mark Cox and Ethei are great guys and instructors. I miss them both! i did my DM with Ethei (while he was at Divedojo) and can,t say enough good about him. He is extremely competent and experienced and will teach you as much as you are ready to learn! Also, he is a very experiences Tech diver and if you are the least bit interested on this side of diving, he is a great source for training! He if so much fun and great to be around, yet still very serious about the diving/ teaching/ learning!

Definetly plan on 5-6 weeks to do it, and try do finnish all the academic work before you get there. Or else all your evenings will be filled with reading and homework. And believe me, when you are there, that will be the last thing you'll want to do....:cool2:

I wish I listened to him when he advised me the same hehe.

capt greggs is a nice store for sure. Compared to El Gallion and everything they are more middle budget. They spend on equipment and skill, less on luxury. Pbb younger crowd

Dec is the peak diving season in the country. All the dive shops, big or small, are anticipating customers. Therefore it is the TIME to enroll for a DM course. BUT you have to act fast as the instructor might not be available because of other commitment!
Please remember Ethei is a tek instructor and depends on demand........ I suspect he would rather do a full trimix course than dm. BUT do enquire.
Other well established operators are: Action Divers(Simon Birtle), Big Apple(Peter Wilson), Capt Gregg(Mark Cox), LBC(Frank Doyle, Leo Castello).

Back
Top Bottom