Doho, Qatar - What is instructor life like? Middle east

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if they have worked as a diving instructor/DM in Doho, Qatar and what their experiences were like? (Or if you have had a experience in the dive industry in the middle east you could share)

I'm wondering about the culture, social life, dive community(?)

Any information would be appreciated.

I'm a young, female, solo and fairly new PADI instructor.

Thanks in advanced!

Qatar is a funny place. There is no dive industry as such. There is a BSAC club and I can give you contact details. Some hotels use freelance instructors. The reside in any country in the Middle East you need to be sponsored by an employer, so most if not all instructors have other jobs.

Diving in Qatar isn't great either although I on,y got to go shore diving. Dubai is a much better place, with lots more freedom and a ton of commercial dive centres

Cost of living is high. In both places especially housing.

Feel free to PM me for more info. @Searcaigh may also be of help too

Qatar is indeed a funny place.
Livingwise: expensive accommodation, and fierce competition since there aren't many dive spots, everybody seems to be crammed in the same piece of sea to take their open water students.

On the other hand, luxery, friendly people and lot's of expats. Boatdives are great, and interesting wildlife!
As a single solo lady, it might be hard to get in the industry aswel.

If I'd recommend to move here to be a scuba instructor? No, there are nicer places to go, plus getting sponsored with the new law is nearly impossible nowadays.

Goodluck!

I think there would be more opportunities in the UAE than Qatar in the diving line

I worked in the UAE for awhile and generally it was pretty good, i was lucky to have a good shop that I used (I was an independent at the time).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom