Doh!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
DAG NAMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i took my brand new D70 ikelite housing out of the box the other day to show my friend, as i lifted it up and out the rear plate fell off.

not so much of a problem in the lounge as it is carpet.........only problem was i in the kitchen which has a slate floor :-(

i instinctively stuck my foot out to break the fall and just about broke my foot as they are not light and it hit the floor.

there was a deadly silence as me, my friend and wife all looked at the rear plate and each other.

i picked it up and yes it had damage, it has chipped the edge off on the face that mates to the housing, not much but it has done it.

the chipped edge is a little ragged so i will have to get a needle file and take off the edges and polish it best i can.

i could not believe it, it hasn't even been wet.

morale of this story is check everything is secure before you lift it up.

Most important, has the surface which actual comes in contact with the O-ring been damaged, if so get a new rear plate as filing it down may make it look better but the uneven surface may not seal properly. No matter what you do, take the housing on a test dive with a soft weight in it before taking it down with the camera.

Side note: Being the radical I am ( ask anyone on Guam who knows me ), After doing a major overhaul on my housings, I take it too deep water ( like 500 ft ) secure it to the anchor line ( well above the anchor and chain) and toss it overboard sending it down to 200 ft. let it set for a minuet then bring it back up. it it is still buoyant when I see it coming up - Success! If not ( hasn't happened yet ) back to the repair bench!

works great and I don't waste any air. I usually overhaul several housing at a time so this is a real time saver.

Chris Bangs:
Most important, has the surface which actual comes in contact with the O-ring been damaged, if so get a new rear plate as filing it down may make it look better but the uneven surface may not seal properly. No matter what you do, take the housing on a test dive with a soft weight in it before taking it down with the camera.

Side note: Being the radical I am ( ask anyone on Guam who knows me ), After doing a major overhaul on my housings, I take it too deep water ( like 500 ft ) secure it to the anchor line ( well above the anchor and chain) and toss it overboard sending it down to 200 ft. let it set for a minuet then bring it back up. it it is still buoyant when I see it coming up - Success! If not ( hasn't happened yet ) back to the repair bench!

works great and I don't waste any air. I usually overhaul several housing at a time so this is a real time saver.

Good idea Chris, but most failure prone area on any housing must be when operating the buttons, dials etc. Static pressure test aren't always going to show up the faults.

Chris Bangs:

while it is the mating face, luckily it is on the edge and doesn't actually mate (if you know what i mean?)

I would still test it without a camera first. Put a weight and some toilet paper inside and drop it over the side before the dive. Bring it up, rinse, dry and if the papers dry, pop in the camera and go diving.

Actually I have only encountered two floods via with the controls in a housing or nikonos, the nikonos flooded through the rear cover latch. I had an Ike Port that flooded when I pulled on the focus knob trying to get it to engage the gear, turned out the tiny gear on the shaft was loose and I pulled the shaft completely out of the port! DOH!!

I have had other, (both fatal and non fatal floods), Nikonos usually via the main rear O-ring, or through the sync socket. The few housing floods were all through the port O-ring.

I am meticulous about, cleaning my equipment and regular servicing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom