d'oh... went diving with my tank pressure gauge. Is it toast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was on the island this weekend with my new PST E8-130. As the fill station doesn't always provide a fat fill, and this was my first time in this cylinder, I wanted to be sure I got max gas.

So I pull from my dry box my trusty DIN pressure gauge. I walk over to the fill station, check the fill and find I'm short. They top it off, all is good.

I stuff the PG into my drysuit pocket to carry the cylinder back to my area to make ready for the next dive.

The dive rocked. I emerge, doff the rig and take the tank over to the fill station. Go back to my stuff and start hunting for my pressure gauge. Its gone. I check every nook and cranny. I reach into my suit pocket, only to find a soaked PG, back from a 73' dive.

I go to pick up the tank, and I shake out the water and slowly crack open the valve. The gauge performs.

My question is this: What's inside of these things. There was water under the glass. I shook it out, but after a thorough dunking, I couldn't get freshwater back under there. Is this thing history? Am I risking explosion by using it? Should I toss it and write this one off as a dumba$$ move on my part?

Thanks -

K

Well, if you want to get freshwater in there, then you can try putting it in a good size zip lock back, fill it with fresh water, and take it down to depth. Then you can shake it around a little and drain it once you get out of the water. But looks like it's already
a little late for that now as it's been out of the water for a while.

I have no idea whether getting salt water in there would be a problem, although I wouldn't think so. That said, if it were mine, I would probably stop using it.

Toast, sorry to say...

just the gauge of course, soak the brass in fresh water and pick up a new gauge for it.

Jeff Lane

Hey,
I work full time for a dive company in Vancouver BC as an instructor and a service tech. I hate to tell you, but the above message is accurate. Your gauge is most likely toast. The parts which move the needle around are probably rusted. This means that it may not be accurate when it reads your tank pressure. Unfortunately they are not repairable either. The cost is just too much since they would have to be recalibrated etc. Just buy a new gauge and consider it a lesson learned.
Ryan :(

Toast TOAST Toast...

Say nighty nite!!!!!

and buh-bye////

Re-read the question, %#$@^ it. (MOD, can I say %#$@^ ?)

Sux.

Back to eBay. I paid a mighty $40 for this thing a year ago. I was just out there, but there are no DIN ones on there today.

I have so much stuff in my pockets I didn't even know I put it in there...thats the funny.

I hate toast.

K

I'm get-ting bettah....

Actually, I can't believe this thing is still working. But it is. 70+ FSW, kinda grubby looking, but hey - it nailed pressure on my cylinder tonight. Verified by my SPG. Wow. Who knew.

I'm gonna give this thing another couple of weeks before I kick it to the curb. If its stilll rocking I'll be so pleased. Its looked better, but its still doing the job.

eBay rules.

K

You can find them at any welding or gas supplier for a few bucks. Hell, the local hardware here has them for under $20.

Unscrew the old, screw on the new. Back in biz.

How scary is that??!!

OK. As we all know, I do NOT have the DIY gene. I dunno what clicked after Genesis' post, but something clicked.

So I grab the gauge, take a peek at it, give it the once-over and realize its just a welding gauge atop a DIN fitting. I can probably replace the gauge and keep the DIN fitting. Hmmm...

I grab a couple of wrenches (shocking I had two that fit) and in 2 seconds, its apart and I'm gonna get me a new gauge tomorrow. I'm pretty fired up about this. Thanks, G.

We have footage:

* The not-so-S PG

* Parts is Parts

* Din Fitting

* Gauge Front

* Gauge Back

A standard 1/4" NPT gauge. Available at any decent hardware store or gas supplier. We have a very nice one that carries gas welding supples that has them - the ones they sell are even O2 clean (imagine that, given what they're usually screwed onto :))

BTW that DIN fitting with the pushbutton bleed is the same one I have on my O2 PP whip :) Nice fitting and the bleed works real well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom