Does Zeagle recommend an STA for use with their BP/W ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I had a student show up this past week-end with a brand new Zeagle BP/W with deluxe harness and 44 lb. wing. It had been set up for single-tank use by the vendor who sold him the equipment. What I noticed was that there was no STA.

In my experience BP/W's need some kind of tank stabillizer for single tank usage. And after the first dive, the student mentioned that his tank felt like it was a bit "floppy". When I pointed out the lack of STA he said it didn't need one. We reefed the tank straps down really tight, and that seemed to help ... but that doesn't seem to be an optimal solution.

So before I say otherwise, I'd like to check with the source ... do you guys recommend an STA for single-tank usage with your BP/W? If not, how do you prevent the tank from wobbling side-to-side? And if an STA is recommended, given that this rig was sold as a "system", was it supposed to have come with one?

I see this student again next week-end, and would like to make sure he's using this rig as the manufacturer intended ... so your input would be appreciated ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Total new guy here but here is what I read from what I believe to be a reputable source, Tank Straps, Adapters and Weights - Dive Gear Express

[h=3]Single Tank Mounting with Backplates[/h]
  • If you occassionally switch between doubles and singles, you can configure your backplate (including the soft backplates of the TransPac and Nomad) to attach to a single tank by adding two tank straps threaded through the tank strap slots of the backplates. Note that when a traditional metal backplate is off the tank, the wing will hang loose on on the straps. This is cosmetic and does not otherwise cause problems, but if you wish you can use two plastic assembly screws to hold the wing against the backplate. Omitting the STA also reduces weight.

• If you frequently switch between doubles and singles, you may prefer the speed and convenience of adding the straps using an optional single tank adapter mounting plate. Using an STA means the strap buckles never have to be unthreaded and re-weaved plus the STA also holds the wing in place with the plate when off the tank and adds weight to the rig. All modern backplates include provisions for tank strap slots, but if you have an older backplate design without the tank strap slots then you must add straps using a single tank adapter.
We are often asked if the tank mount would be more stable and secure using the STA, as opposed to threading the cam straps directly through the backplate. We've tested several configurations and discovered that threading the straps through the backplate is at least as stable as when using an STA. Using an STA sets the tank farther away from the backplate and allows the tank to rock slightly by pivoting from side to side on the bolts. Using the straps threaded to through the backplate snugs the tank and wing up very tight against the backplate and does not allow the tank to rock.

Thanks ... but there's a reason I asked in the Zeagle forum. I prefer hearing from the equipment manufacturer.

I'm rather familiar with setting up backplates ... I own seven of them. None of mine are Zeagle ... and I would prefer a manufacturer's recommendation for their own equipment. I don't want the student taking my word for it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob -

It is really up to the end user, but most of the people that I know who dive our back plates with single tanks don't use a STA. Of course, now that I have said that, all the STA users will come out of the woodwork! :)

Thanks,

Scott

Bob -

It is really up to the end user, but most of the people that I know who dive our back plates with single tanks don't use a STA. Of course, now that I have said that, all the STA users will come out of the woodwork! :)

Thanks,

Scott
Thank you Scott ... I didn't want my personal preferences to color my suggestions in this case ... I will refer my student to your response, and he can make his decision accordingly.

I'm not one of those folks who says you have to do things a particular way ... as long as you're using the equipment in the manner it was designed and intended.

Appreciate your response ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thx Scott, I was the student... the culprit was actually my crotch strap, and a not quite tight waist belt as well. (Double whammy)

Tightening the crotch strap an inch or so, properly cinching the waist belt, and that tank is solid as a rock.

Luv the harness, although the inflator hose with the Zeagle Octo/inflator is just a hair short, compared to my air2 on my other BCD, so I have to crook my head alittle more to use it, or test it before going down. Thats my only complaint.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom