Does this exist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divad

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone make a signal mirror with a slate on the back, or do I have to make it myself?

Back packing shops should have signal mirrors. These are usually polished metal, stainless etc rather than breakable glass. You could then bond some slate or white plastic to the backside using 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive from an auto store or aquarium silicone might work as well. There are also several types of industrial double stick tape that would work as well. Many of these signal mirrors, I have one, have a hole in them for a lanyard and wax pencil. Good luck. Aviation, marine and Army surplus stores might have them as well. N

If you don’t mind the size, you could just use an old CD. The data side is a good reflector and the non-data side of a CD makes quite a good writing surface.

Vie:
If you don’t mind the size, you could just use an old CD. The data side is a good reflector and the non-data side of a CD makes quite a good writing surface.

I don't want to start this whole discussion up here as it already has a thread of its own, but a CD isn't a good mirror substitute. It is only 20 to 25% as reflective as an actual mirror.

As for putting a slate on the back of the mirror:
The back of the mirror is used it sighting the signal. Be sure whatever you do either doesn't interfere with that or have a way to remove it to make the back usable. It is nice when you can make something have more than one function.

oh. Here is an idea that justpopped into my head. I think this will look good if done carefully as well.
It requires:
"Metal Mirror" signal mirror. It's lighter, thinner than glass and it won't break.
Piano hinge about 2 inches long.
Piece of plastic or slate cut to the same size as the mirror.
JB-weld or other appropriate adhesive.
small piece of velcro.

Just glue the hinge to the top edge of the mirror and the slate. Attach the Velcro to the bottom edge to hold the slate and mirror together for normal use. If the mirror is needed for signaling you would just seperate the velcro and open the two halves.

Even more simple would be to just use 2 pieces of velcro, top and bottom, to hold the slate to the mirror. If you need the mirror then just pull the two apart. If you put velcro on both sides of the slate piece you can use both sides of the slate. You could have one side with tables or something and use the other side to write messages by pulling the slate off and flipping it over.
Wow. I think I just came up with something to do today.

Joe

Sideband:
I don't want to start this whole discussion up here as it already has a thread of its own, but a CD isn't a good mirror substitute. It is only 20 to 25% as reflective as an actual mirror.

As for putting a slate on the back of the mirror:
The back of the mirror is used it sighting the signal. Be sure whatever you do either doesn't interfere with that or have a way to remove it to make the back usable. It is nice when you can make something have more than one function.

oh. Here is an idea that justpopped into my head. I think this will look good if done carefully as well.
It requires:
"Metal Mirror" signal mirror. It's lighter, thinner than glass and it won't break.
Piano hinge about 2 inches long.
Piece of plastic or slate cut to the same size as the mirror.
JB-weld or other appropriate adhesive.
small piece of velcro.

Just glue the hinge to the top edge of the mirror and the slate. Attach the Velcro to the bottom edge to hold the slate and mirror together for normal use. If the mirror is needed for signaling you would just seperate the velcro and open the two halves.

Even more simple would be to just use 2 pieces of velcro, top and bottom, to hold the slate to the mirror. If you need the mirror then just pull the two apart. If you put velcro on both sides of the slate piece you can use both sides of the slate. You could have one side with tables or something and use the other side to write messages by pulling the slate off and flipping it over.
Wow. I think I just came up with something to do today.

Joe

I was thinking I'd just drill a hole in the slate. Hinged would give you more writting space..........I think I'll drill the hole. It simplfies everything.

evad:
I was thinking I'd just drill a hole in the slate. Hinged would give you more writting space..........I think I'll drill the hole. It simplfies everything.

If you mean drill a hole in the slate like the one in the mirror, it won't work. The reflective part of both sides is needed to sight and use the signal. I don't mean this as an insult and it isn't directed to anyone in particular but I'd also look into learning how to use the mirror. It does have instructions and proper use isn't really intuitive.

Joe

I just looked up several sites with mirror instructions and none of them use method I 'learned'. It involved using the back mirror to see where the dot of light from the center hole hit on your face.
If it will work with the hole drilled in the slate then go for it. That does sound like an easy solution.

Joe

Sideband:
If you mean drill a hole in the slate like the one in the mirror, it won't work. The reflective part of both sides is needed to sight and use the signal. I don't mean this as an insult and it isn't directed to anyone in particular but I'd also look into learning how to use the mirror. It does have instructions and proper use isn't really intuitive.

Joe

I certainly not insulted. Thanks for apprising me of something I hadn't even thought about. If what you say is true, then hinged would be the next obvious plan. And you absolutely right about needing to understand the basic operation of something you are trying to modify. Off to the store. I still think this is a good idea.

Sideband:

Ooops, thanks for the info. Apologies for my ignorant suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom