Does the Dive Housing completely replace the original housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stanw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Is the idea behind the new GoPro Dive Housing that you remove the camera from the housing that the Hero2 ships with completely and just put the camera inside the Dive Housing instead?

If so, would you still use the original housing for anything or does the Dive Housing effectively replace the original for everything, including video shot on land?

Thanks.

Yes...remove the camera from the housing it shipped in and place it in the new dive housing.

I have kept the original housing to shoot video above water.

I have shot some footage above water with the dive housing and I can't really tell the difference. Mind you, I'm not much of a videographer.

How available are these new housings? I am seeing on Amazon a "1-3 month" ship time. On Ebay they are selling for $80+. I am guessing these are not stocked/shipping in quantity yet?

Any recomendations on any sites that HAVE them in stock to order now that are reputable? Need to order one quick!

GoPro has them in stock and shipping right now. You can by them directly at GoPro.com.
Sent from my Lumia 900 Windows Phone using Board Express

Any recomendations on any sites that HAVE them in stock to order now that are reputable? Need to order one quick!

I have had the Sartek version for a month and it seems to work fine, and there is also the Backscatter version. Not sure if the GoPro is significantly better in any way... they do say that it doesn't have vignetting at any resolution, which you can see at the wide angle setting with the Sartek.

To me the GoPro one @ $50 can't be beat. You know people will make more/better filter for that housing asap....and there are a few out there already.

I saw the wait on amazon and ordered gopro direct. I use the original housing above water for the wider fisheye view.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

I've had mine for awhile now, very good indeed. The are availible through go pro or DRIS (dive right in scuba).

I ordered from GoPro.com and it shows as shipping today. Just got the UPS confirmation......!

Going to Cozumel in 2 weeks, I plan on just using the dive housing for below and above water I think.....will see when it gets here if it vingettes or anything.

To me the GoPro one @ $50 can't be beat. You know people will make more/better filter for that housing asap....and there are a few out there already.

I ordered mine from there last week and it shipped right away.

BEWARE! International shipping (to Canada in my case) is at least $33, of which $17.34 is Fedex surprising you at the door with a customs notice.

Back
Top Bottom