Does Sofnolime 797 work in a Dolphin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Batman

Registered
Reaction score
I have been using sofnolime size 4-8 (a/k/a L Grade) in my new Dolphin. It works well. However, the more expensive size 8-12 (a/k/a D Grade, a/k/a 797) has a greater capacity to absorbe C02 according to their website (http://www.molecularproducts.co.uk/welcome.htm). It also apears that 797 is what is called for in the Buddy Inspiration. However, on the sofnolime website the 797 is not listed under the category for "rebreather"

My questions are:
-Does the 797 work well in the Dolphin?
-Is there any noticable increase in breathing resistance because it packs tighter?
-Does it indeed extend the useful life of a packed scrubber in a rebreather?

Thanks for your comments.

Batman:
I have been using sofnolime size 4-8 (a/k/a L Grade) in my new Dolphin. It works well. However, the more expensive size 8-12 (a/k/a D Grade, a/k/a 797) has a greater capacity to absorbe C02 according to their website (http://www.molecularproducts.co.uk/welcome.htm). It also apears that 797 is what is called for in the Buddy Inspiration. However, on the sofnolime website the 797 is not listed under the category for "rebreather"

My questions are:
-Is there any noticable increase in breathing resistance because it packs tighter?

812 mesh or also known as diving grade 797 is a better adsorbant, however since the particle size is smaller everything will pack together more closely.. The dolphin does not have the best breathing characteristics to start with, switching to 812 grade WILL increase the WOB and is not recommended.

i use the 812 and have no problem at all breathing it?
have gone 6 1/2 hours
but try to keep it between 4 and 4 1/2

landfish:
i use the 812 and have no problem at all breathing it?
have gone 6 1/2 hours
but try to keep it between 4 and 4 1/2
Depth, breathing gas and workload will all have effects.

The unit will work with 812 but the deeper you go the greater the WOB becomes, if you are working you are making it more difficult for gas exchange to occur.
SOmeone just lazily hanging out on a reef (or like) at say 60 fsw or a bit deeper probably wount notice much of a difference. There is probably SOME elevated co2 over optimal levels but at low workloads and depths the diver probably never notices.
Its what a person gets used to, when I try a dolphin it feels so restricting to me simce I'm used to the better breathing characteristics of dual OTS bags.. Under the newer CE regs the Dolphin might not even pass WOB tests...

I am not a rebreather diver yet but I have been researching for a few months
Here is a site that I like and he is so knolagable that it will blow your mind and he is very nice about replying to questions. http://www.atlimp.com
I know this doesn' answere your question directly but this guy is a wonderful source of infomation. Any one who can make a rebreather from a water bottle is worth listening to.
Regards

Batman:

My questions are:

Back
Top Bottom