Does Guinness contribute to DCS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cgvmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So here is a question of from a new diver, but not a new Guinness consumer.
Will the consumption of Guinness after (never before of course) a dive contribute to DCS?

For those who don't know, Guinness is served from a keg with a mixture of NO2 and CO2 unlike most others that are pumped with CO2 only.

It doesn't matter if it's served from a keg with a mixture of NO2 and CO2 or is pumped with CO2 only. What matters is your state of hydration. Alcohol will dehydrate you. It's not a good idea to drink any alcohol after diving.

Rumour has it if you drink 1 pint of Guinness before the dive and you can remove 5 lbs off your weight belt.:D

cgvmer:
So here is a question of from a new diver, but not a new Guinness consumer.
Will the consumption of Guinness after (never before of course) a dive contribute to DCS?

For those who don't know, Guinness is served from a keg with a mixture of NO2 and CO2 unlike most others that are pumped with CO2 only.

I agree with Walter. I'm not an expert on physiology, medicine, etc., however; unless you're inhaling your Guinness (I'm guilty on occasion) I think any NO2 or CO2 would be readily expelled by a hearty belch before being absorbed into the bloodstream. There are a large number of more knowledgable members here who could probably answer this question.:D

Yeah but if you drink toooo many pints over time you'lll need to add lead

Any alcohol consumption post dive can mask the symptoms of DCS. It's a good idea to refrain for several days post dive.

Nitrogen in your GI tract (even in solution) is not going to be absorbed into your circulation nearly as well as Nitrogen in your lungs, and you're getting exposed to PLENTY of that post-dive with each breath you take. You also likely have plenty of air in your esophagus and stomach anyway. Most burps consist primarily of air that's been swallowed rather than other gases generated in or released by the GI tract.*

As long as you can find alcohol-free Guinness, go for it. If not, wait as others have suggested.

*For the curious (such as my 12 y/o), farts usually consists primarily of nitrogen from swallowed air and CO2 produced within the GI tract. This underscores that nitrogen absorption from the GI tract is quite poor. In 2/3 of humans they rarely contain significant amounts of methane. Finally, there is no good word for a fart in English other than fart. Flatus is the name of the gas mixture itself, whether it's in GI tract waiting to leave or wafting about your office. Go ahead and call it a fart. As Ben Franklin wrote, "Fart Proudly!"

As long as you are doing safe dives within limits and hydrating properly, having a couple of pints after diving is fine.

Guiness is the "Nectar of the Gods" (Irish Mythology)

But, in this case I have to agree with the above suggestions to stay hydrated etc...

Don Wray:
Any alcohol consumption post dive can mask the symptoms of DCS. It's a good idea to refrain for several days post dive.

Party pooper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom