Does diving actually make you younger?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's the story of my life.

Someone asked me if I was going widemount …

I was like “but I don’t use sidem … wait a second 🤔

im no scientist, and this is mainly speculation, but I actually believe diving probably has a deleterious affect on our bodies.

When its very severe, its called DCS.

When its less so, those tiny bubbles probably just put a bit more wear and tear on our joints, etc.

But its worth it. Just try to minimize the risk as much as possible

Age related problems will catch up with us all in the end. Aside from the diving specific health issues — circulation, lungs, etc. — there’s the general strength and fitness requirements to be able to heave the heavy kit around, kit up on a rolling boat, and just be safe. Not a place for muscular/skeletal/joint issues. This is a bigger issue with technical diving as there’s so much more kit to carry — can you kit up, lift and walk with 100kg/220 pounds of kit?

Mental fitness is also a thing. 99% of diving is benign and then the 1% requires sharp reasoning and problem solving abilities, on pain of death. Diving is not a forgiving place for, errm, forgetfulness. The more challenging the dive, the more focus is required.

Don’t see many old technical divers, say over 70 years old, doing deeper and longer dives. Sure, there’s the odd one or two, but very few in comparison to 65 year olds.

Warm water recreational diving is a completely different matter though…

When my technical diving days are over I’ll go back to sailing. There’s lots of people In their nineties sailing. It keeps them younger you see! My mum and dad, both in their 90s are currently sailing around the East Coast of the UK in their sailing boat along with a bunch or other pensioner friends. My dad has often said that it’s the sailing that keeps him going.

Being active keeps you active.
I've been both diver and sailer, merchant seaman, world traveler as well. The friends you have with you will make most of the difference in your enjoyment of your time. Experience and knowledge matter as well as good judgment for safety and fun. Aer on the side of safety but don't squeeze all the fun out of it. Diving and sailing are weather related activities. Patience is key here.
Better to wait past inclement weather than force it and have an accident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom