Does Dive Alert Sub-Surface signal work well?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I are trying to find a sub-surface signaling device that doesn't hang loose or clutter up our hands. To date we have not been happy with everything from shakers to knockers to metal rods to big bolts. Now we're looking at the Dive Alert Plus, a device with both surface and

A couple of years ago, my buddy and I were out diving in about 20' viz and heard "quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack", then nothing. Then a few more quacks, then nothing.

It sounded like someone was in deep poop and I had visions of a diver stuck under a log or trapped in some line, so we started searching. We finally gave up when we were low on air and out of time, and went back to the boat, only to find the moron had been back for 20 minutes. It turns out he was just playing with it because he liked the noise.

Although you're welcome to dive any way you like, my preferred attention-getting method involves extending a finger and poking my buddy in the ribs.

Terry

Although you're welcome to dive any way you like, my preferred attention-getting method involves extending a finger and poking my buddy in the ribs.

Terry

IMHO This methode is only good if you can acually reach your buddy. The quacker i think is best for low vis and lost buddy and wreck penetration.

A couple of years ago, my buddy and I were out diving in about 20' viz and heard "quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack", then nothing. Then a few more quacks, then nothing.

It sounded like someone was in deep poop and I had visions of a diver stuck under a log or trapped in some line, so we started searching. We finally gave up when we were low on air and out of time, and went back to the boat, only to find the moron had been back for 20 minutes. It turns out he was just playing with it because he liked the noise.

Terry

Muhahaha!
Hmmm... Wonder if Mike carries these at the shop? I'm sure there will be a Wednesday night dive you'll be hearing a quack or two.

:eyebrow:

I have one. It doesn't sound all that loud or effective up close. What are user's experiences hearing them clearly from a distance? Sometimes it quacks sometimes it seems to only bubble(?)

Ray,

I am also considering a similar purchase. Based on two dives where signaling was needed:

First dive - Freshwater dive @ about 40' & 52 degree water with my buddy at 4-O'clock position 10-15 feet away. Did a buddy check all OK. Continued forward for less than 30 seconds and was acosted by the sound of an angry duck in heat.... I looked back and saw my buddy (now 30+ feet away) slowly sinking in a horizontal position while holding his reg in his mouth with both hands as his tank dangled by the hose. I swam back to him and managed to secure his tank & continue the dive. BTW: I was wearing a 7mm hood.

Second dive - Saltwater dive in kelp forest. 30-40' and 57 degrees. My buddy is wearing a hood. He is at my 12-O'clock about 20' ahead of me when I get kelp tangled on my 1st stage. I pause to clear it and am having a little trouble as it is an ackward reach and I cant see it. While calmly trying to free my reg one of my fins gets tangled. I retrieved my dive knive and try to cut the kelp. Useless... I use my knife to bang on my tank. My buddy never heard it. By this time I am getting a bit paniced (sp?).
I paused to relax & evaluate the situation. Checked my air and found that I had gone from 1300+ PSI to 500PSI just trying to free myself from the kelp. I did my best to relax, correct my bouyency and work on the kelp one bit at a time until I was free.
I slowly continued it the direction my budy had taken for a minute or two and did not find him. At that point I made a normal ascent & safety stop. I surfaced with 300psi. I waited on the surface for a few minuets before my buddy surfaced about 50 yards away.
He later told me that he had looked back and didn't see me and proceeded to look for me. He never heard my signal.

While my buddy on the first dive took alot of grief before the dive for his pet duck he did not abuse it to the annoyance of other divers and when he did need to signal me it was extremely effective.

It is unfortunate that some divers have abused these devices to the point that some responsable diver are reluctant to carry them.

Funny.... I was riding the fence trying to decide if I would buy one... I think I just sold myself :)

It is unfortunate that some divers have abused these devices to the point that some responsable diver are reluctant to carry them.

Funny.... I was riding the fence trying to decide if I would buy one... I think I just sold myself :)

I hear ya! I have used 3 signaling devices...the cheapo tank banger, the aluminum stick that you shake, and now the Scub-Alert Signaling Device *duck quacker.

People generally do complain when they first see them but, I'm not one of those fools who is constantly quacking/banging/shaking away. (at least underwater :D) Even had someone tell me they take them off of a persons gear and hide it for the trip. I gently suggested it would not be in their best interest to do that to me. :D Fortunately, he believed me.

Anyhoo, I have had many instances with all 3 that its been useful. Alerting most of a large group to a Manta Ray. Finding a buddy after descending in a large group in not so good viz. To Just showing buddies really cool stuff hiding in the reef.

The cheapo tank banger around the tank honestly worked the best. I hated the stick you shake...too much work. The duck quacker works fine but, I find that some hear it and some don't. Not for want though. Haha funny my bud Tom can hear it in fresh water but, not in salt.

It is unfortunate that some are not so conscientious of others but, I say if it works for you...go for it!!

I have the Aquatec Air 3 with the built in surface and sub noise maker.
I dove it today for the first time and gave it a try out. At the surface it is loud enough to be heard at a good distance. Underwater I've tried banging and shakers and if the wearing a hood or beanie those are useless but this thing can be heard and gets attention.
The Octo is is sufficient to get the job done but doesn't breath as well as the Sherwood Gemini which I gave to my wife.
Overall the Aquatec Air 3 gets the job done and is a compact efficient combo.

I have used Dive Alert, Sub Alert, and Hammerhead.

Hammerhead seems to work the best underwater and the other two work better above the water. My LDS told me that none of them work great above and below the water.

I recently sold all of them and stopped worrying about it.

I did not want to start a new thread, but I was curious about this, because I picked up the Dive Alert + and the sound it makes is of rushing air sub-surface. I figure maybe a year later, people have some more opinions....

Back
Top Bottom