Does clearing ears get harder with age?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have actually found it to be easier. Don't know if it's because I exercise the muscles when I'm not diving, or the pro-plugs, or the sudafed, or the fact that I begin clearing before I even hit the water. Practice practice practice and all different techniques.

How do you exercise them? I used to be able to just swallow and clear my ears in the water.

How do you exercise them? I used to be able to just swallow and clear my ears in the water.

Sometimes swallowing is the only thing that works for me, so I dive with a life saver (it has a hole so I don't accidentally choke myself :wink:) because breathing compressed air really dries me out. To exercise the muscles and keep my eustachian tubes in good working order, I wiggle my jaw or thrust it out. I do almost every day. I also practice clearing at different times, like when I'm working at my desk and sneaking a peek on SB or other scuba sites.:D I have had some real difficulty clearing sometimes. I never had to call a dive, but my poor buddy has been waiting for me at the bottom while I'm ascending a few feet to clear.

Seems like clearing my ears was no problem when I was young. Now it is getting to be a worry. I'm 55, does clearing ears get harder with age? If so, what has helped you with your ears?

I am 65 and recently noticed a slight problem on several dives. Turned out to be a too tight hood, too good of a seal, interfering with equalization. New, larger hood, no problem. I mention this just in case that it might apply to your situation, a long shot.

Personally, I've found that it become easier, not so much with age as with experience. Granted, I'm "only" 33, but clearing my ears is much easier than it was when I took up diving 10 years ago.

Just to add something, myself being almost 70, very few things get harder with age except physical exercise.

Back
Top Bottom