Does bloating from period impact weighting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do experience bloating at that time of the month, but I've never noticed that it impacts my weight requirements. It does make me tense and prone to anxiety, so I have to consciously relax.
YMMV!

I have a hard time with descent wearing a farmer john. I get so much air trapped between hips and breasts that it's like trying to descend with a beachball. With my 1 piece 3mil I can get by with 8-10lbs (fresh water), but with my 7mil FJ it takes over 21lbs.

I did discover that if I just float around near the beach entry or right off the dock for about 15 minutes I can work most of the air out and not have much problem. I still have to wear my ankle weights since 7mil of neoprene makes my feet float like crazy.

--Shannon

I have not noticed needing more weight, but zipping up my wetsuit is a whole different problem:blinking: I agree with the previous posts. Try to relax and not tense up. I use different amount of weights depending on the weather, water temp, and my stress level at the time. Just remember to relax and have fun.

Hey Cherise,
Being relaxed will definitely help you descend, but you mentioned going limp, and that could slow your descent.
I used to have issues descending, and a couple of instructors gave me some advice that instantly solved my problems.

Your body needs to be as straight up and down - as streamlined - as possible.
Point your fin tips straight down.
Your head is like a rudder; If you look down, it will help in your descent.
Hold your deflator high and deflate. If you need to, put both arms straight up to get streamlined.
Exhale STRONGLY and SLOOOOOOWLY. If you need to inhale before you've descended, take a quick very SHORT inhale, then exhale strongly and slowly again.

Slow deep breaths make the most difference in your buoyancy. Fast shallow breaths affect your position in the water the least. If you want a big change, inhale or exhale slowly and deeply.

The above advice worked instantly for me, and I could reduce my weight by descending more efficiently. If you're overweighted, it's very easy to descend, but it's not safe and it increases your air consumption. Hopefully, those tips will help you descend more easily! :)

Not a lady, but wanted to chime in and say that the longer I've dived, the more weight I have been able to shed, even when I was ridiculously light a few dives earlier, I was able to drop weight and still have no problems. I'm convinced it's mental and you just have to learn to do it somehow.

The turning point for me was when I showed up for a dive without any weight, on accident. I simply put a few rocks in my BC and was able to dive, even though I probably had signifantly less weight on me than I do on my weightbelt. That experience made me think much more about my bouyancy and helpd me fine tune how much weight I carry.

Ayisha:
Your body needs to be as straight up and down - as streamlined - as possible.
Point your fin tips straight down.
Your head is like a rudder; If you look down, it will help in your descent.
Hold your deflator high and deflate. If you need to, put both arms straight up to get streamlined.
Exhale STRONGLY and SLOOOOOOWLY. If you need to inhale before you've descended, take a quick very SHORT inhale, then exhale strongly and slowly again.

[FONT=&quot]Thanks Ayisha for the tips I didn't know about both arms and the position of my head I'll defiantly try that. I had a question about descending vertically. I've heard two schools of thought on this. My instructor told me descend vertical until I got under a bit then lean forward and continue descending looking towards the bottom of the ocean. I also had another person tell me that you never descend vertically, that you should go only head first. Are both right?

The other problem I've had when I've descended vertically is that I fall backwards and go down on my back. I've tried moving my weight pouches (have a Poseidon back inflate BC w/weight pouches you can move) from the rear to the front, over my hips, every position, but I still end up getting dragged down flat on my back. I'm able to turtle over, but I would like to know how to stop doing that![/FONT]

PufferFish_75:
[FONT=&quot]My instructor told me descend vertical until I got under a bit then lean forward and continue descending looking towards the bottom of the ocean. I also had another person tell me that you never descend vertically, that you should go only head first. Are both right?

Whatever works for you is the best for you. Try both and see how they work. IMO, your instructor gave you good advice. You only need to be streamlined for the first 15 feet or so - then it should be easy. Remember, you are looking down already. After you're descending easily, you can definitely lean forward a bit and watch better where you're going. Don't be surprised if you sink like a rock with those techniques - equalize early and often and add a little air to your BC periodically on the way down so you don't freefall.

Descending head-first is supposed to be an inefficient and more difficult way to descend. It is also harder to equalize head-first. It can work if you zoom past that first 15 feet or so and don't have issues equalizing. Just ensure that you're not underweighted, otherwise, if you're not able to hold the safety stop at the end, that could be dangerous.

PufferFish_75:
The other problem I've had when I've descended vertically is that I fall backwards and go down on my back. I've tried moving my weight pouches (have a Poseidon back inflate BC w/weight pouches you can move) from the rear to the front, over my hips, every position, but I still end up getting dragged down flat on my back. I'm able to turtle over, but I would like to know how to stop doing that![/FONT]

If you've tried moving as much weight as you can to the front of your hips, and you're still falling backward, then it sounds like you need to move some of your weight higher on your front to counteract the weight of the tank. Do you have trim pockets up high in the front? Or you can clip a weight high onto the front of your BC; that should stop you from falling backward. Adjusting the height of your tank might work too. Note that I suggested moving your existing weights, not adding weights, if you know you are correctly weighted. Hope that helps! :wink:

I think almost everyone is really buoyant for the first few feet. I have found that doing a weird bob-movement helps me get under the first few feet if I am ever having a problem. Not sure if other people do this, but it is kind of like the giant stride - but in the water. I'll try to explain -

(1) Check with buddy to ensure s/he is ready to go down
(2) Extend arms out to my side, palms down - level or almost level on the water's surface
(3) Legs extended - one out front, one behind (make sure not to hit anyone)
(4) At the same time - pull arms down to side, feet in together - have to push hard. The objective is to propel yourself slightly upwards, out of the water. Keep this same posture (straight up and down) to help you be more streamlined.
(5) When you are under a few feet, slow yourself down to prevent unsafe/fast descending.

Not sure that this helps, but it definitely helps me. Just having the "process" helps relax me and has helped me not need as much weight.

Congrats on your certification Puffer! I live up in SF if you are in need of a buddy ever! :)

sarita75:
Congrats on your certification Puffer! I live up in SF if you are in need of a buddy ever! :)

I would LOVE to meet up with you:D!!! I haven't dove with a woman yet and I dying to!!! I live about 35 min from you I'd love to meet up some time and hit Monterey.

I think I've used your technique before and it worked. I know that If I relax I can go down....I've had some difficulty relaxing with my dive buddy lately, he is my boyfriend and for some reason I'm always tense with him.

Looking forward to diving with you some time!

PufferFish_75:
I would LOVE to meet up with you:D!!! I haven't dove with a woman yet and I dying to!!! I live about 35 min from you I'd love to meet up some time and hit Monterey.

I think I've used your technique before and it worked. I know that If I relax I can go down....I've had some difficulty relaxing with my dive buddy lately, he is my boyfriend and for some reason I'm always tense with him.

Looking forward to diving with you some time!

it happens... could be as easy as anticipation or expectation or aggrevation - you think he thinks you should be more capable or you think he should help you out more or you think he thinks you should be more indepentant or you felt rushed to get into the water or he hovers around you too much or it could be a simple as he parked in the furtherst spot away from you and that peeved you off :wink:

thing its usually all in the mind and a few breaths to clear the mind and relax can be the cure

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom