Does anyone use the D5000 for underwater photography?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With this camera, you are limited to AF-S lenses, and no video. It has the same optical performance as a D90 or D300, with lower shooting rates and lower cost. If you are familiar with it and like its capabilities, I don't see why it's not a fine choice. It's just a part of the system, however; you need lenses, housing, ports, strobes too.

In brief, I'd get the Nikon 10-24mm AF-S lens for wide, and the 60mm AF-S for macro. Once you have decided what lenses to use, you can select the housing and ports.

It seems there are only two makers of housings for this camera, Ikelite and Leo. See:
List of underwater housings that turn the Nikon D5000 into an underwater camera

Since you are in a country with limited dealer support, I would suggest using a well regarded brand housing with many dealers worldwide. Ikelite has the housing, ports, strobes you need for reasonable prices with good distribution worldwide. Their part is #6801.50 ($1400 list). Ports will cost you another $300-500. A strobe setup will cost you $600-2000.

Reef, Optical Ocean, and Backscatter are all dealers who ship worldwide. I would suggest using the dealers to help you configure your system and get ports and strobes that are fully compatible with your system and your shooting needs.

You mentioned with the Nikon D5000 you are limited to AF-S lenses and no video. I'd like to correct that information.

With the Nikon D5000 you can use Manual Focus mode by switching your lens to manual focus, and turning the focus ring for manual focusing.

The Nikon D5000 does in fact have video. HD movie mode is the second major feature of the Nikon D5000, capturing 1280 x 720 resolution movies at 24 frames per second.

Using a D5000 just does not make sense. Here is why.

You need 2 strobes with arms and floats and a focus light at about $2000
Say you get a macro lens and port at $3000.
Say you get a wide angle lens and dome at $3000.
Say you get a midrange zoom with port extender at $1000.
Say you get the housing at $3000.

You have $12000 and you get a great deal at $10000. If you are going to go with a camera body go top of the line and go with the D850 which is $3000+ but still makes up only about 25% of the total system cost.

Going low end on the camera body does not make sense especially in underwater which is as ultra challenging photo environment.

I shoot with a Nikon DSLR a D800 and I call it Boat Anchor 2.0. It is nearly neutral in the water but on land it is big an unwieldy. A dive buddy of mine shoots a mirrorless system whicb is far more compact and has very good picture quality and he can handle it one handed. I have him beat on resolution, focus lock and shooting speed.

If you want to economize, you can get a mirrorless system for merely a small boat load of money.

You mentioned with the Nikon D5000 you are limited to AF-S lenses and no video. I'd like to correct that information.

With the Nikon D5000 you can use Manual Focus mode by switching your lens to manual focus, and turning the focus ring for manual focusing.

Ahh, and how do you shift this ring and manual focus the lens while it's in the housing? And just how well is this going to work while underwater where everything is moving? Manual focus can be valuable when shooting macro, but is generally only used in mid-range lenses while shooting video when you pull focus from one subject to another, very difficult unless it's on a tripod.

We always recommend the higher end bodies, in this case a D500, although the D7200 is also a very good camera in this range. They all have in-body lens motors, much better viewfinders, AF, speed and much more than the D5000. You'll have a wide range of housings and more importantly lenses to choose from. Your resale later will be greater to make up what little difference in cost between the bodies. I doubt a D5000 system in a couple of years will be worth much on the used market.

You might want to read more:
Choosing an Underwater Camera & Housing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom