Does ANYONE pass DIR Fundamentals??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Kane told me that more than 50% of those who take Tech 1, AND who have also taken DIRF, fail the first time. Those who don't take Tech 1 are virtually guarenteed to fail. They simply don't have the skills (seemingly regardless of the number of years they have in diving or number of pieces of plastic they have).

The reason everyone doesn't have the skills is that they (we) were all started out on the wrong foot and nothing was ever done to correct it. DIRF has nothing to do with pass fail, IMO, but rather a learning experience unparelled in this industry. People can knock it all they want, but until they see what real skill is in person.... I suspect people who knock it are afraid of "failing" a seemingly basic course and would thus have to reevaluate themselves. You have to put your ego aside first and foremost and be willing to learn.

That's my take.

Mike

BTW, GUE is the only agency that I have seen that wholly puts skill evaluation and mastery ahead of economics and plastic -- the way it should be.

Lost Yooper once bubbled...
I suspect people who knock it are afraid of "failing" a seemingly basic course and would thus have to reevaluate themselves.
Every time I hear someone knock the DIRF I think the same thing. If you will notice the loudest ones are usually those with scoliosis from all the plastic cert. cards in their wallet... their vituperative posts are like a clanging bell declaring their real motive: fear of failure!

I seemed to have done the progression of GUE training in reverse order. I took Tech 1 with Fraser Purdon, then Cave 1 with David Rhea last year (Passed both without taking a fundamentals course on the first pass through in the alotted 5 day period).

Last month I had the opportunity to take the Fundamentals course with Mike Kane, and AG. While I only was able to complete the first 2 days of the course (got really sick on the last day and just couldn't justify diving on day 3) I thought I would share my thoughts on this thread.

First off, I hadn't been in the water in 4 months prior to the fundy's course. That being said, I found the course difficult. I found myself slipping back into a bad habit of letting my knees drop slightly (although after the first dive things started clicking back into place). I also found that the amount of information thrown at the students and the pure number of students (10 students with three instructors and several assistants) to be a detriment to the overall course experience.

Trying to absorb all of the theory and put into practice the things learned under the tight deadlines of the course was difficult. I had the impression that if the course was tailored more along the lines of the T1 and C1 courses, that there would be a better chance of students mastering the skills. Having an instructor to student ratio of 3 to 1 and having extra time to work on skills under the supervision of the instructor is a wonderful thing. While the fundy's course it was limited a 3 or 4 to 1 ratio, I found that we were almost rushed through our dives so that we could meet the time requirements of the weekend.

With the added stress of the time constraints and amount of skills the students were asked to learn, I found it almost impossible for the students to become not only proficient but to master the skills to the satisfaction of the instructor. But, I'm not really sure that's the goal of the fundy's course (to master what is presented; there's just not enough time nor attention for you to do this).

I think the Fundamentals course is more an 'introduction' than a 'course'. The students are exposed to the skills and taught how to do them. The rest is up to them to practice and get proficient at them.

As for is Fundy's critical to passing the Tech or Cave 1 course? Obviously the answer is 'No', you can pass the course if you already have strong skills, can adapt/learn quickly, and have the right attitude (attitude is critical in these courses). I'm not saying, blow the fundy's course off, as if you have doubts about your abilities, this is the place to take an assesment and decide for yourself.

Now that I've rambled on, I'm not sure I said anything. Any questions or comments are welcome.

--Pat

Rick Murchison once bubbled...

I've read enough to know I want no part of it.
Rick

Perhaps you should read my post about my experience taking the DIRF seminar last weekend. I too had a lot of negative feelings going into the course, but decided to bite the bullet anyway. I feel my post accurately reflects what happened in our class and I tried to keep my personal viewpoints out as much as possible.

DIRF Report

DIRF is not a pass/fail. The instructors told us that they only way to fail is if you drowned. If DIRF was a pass/fail and you were issued a C-card for it I think that 3 of us in the class would have passed with hardly any problems. 2 more would have been iffy, and I am sure the final 2 would have almost certainly failed. But that is just my opinion, for whatever it is worth, and I am certainly not able to speak from the viewpoint of a GUE instructor.

The only thing I can say, is don't make up your mind without experiencing it yourself. I almost did and it would have been a mistake. I now realize that those that ramble on the board about how GUE does things have most likely never experienced any of their classes first hand.

I will agree with what Pat said, that they are cramming a lot into the course in a short amount of time. From what I saw they are still actively developing the course and what it should consist of and for how long.

There are a lot of different variables, how many students in the class, how far the instructors have to fly, (how many other dive orgs will fly a top notch group of instructors to you for the same price you can take it at a shop?) the previous skill of the students, what environment the dives are in, have the instructors been there before?, how fast the students take in the info, etc.

Tommy

Our GUE instructors asked us our opinion on course length (we actually ran a bit long a couple of days), and were not wholely unreceptive to the idea of extending the number of days for the course. The limiting factor would seem to be those who can't justify the number of vacation days they'd have to take off for a 5 day fundies course (and 2 weekend courses would leave otherwise-busy instructors away from home not doing much of anything, or travelling twice the necessary distance).

Eh, next time I think I'll just take a vacation to FL for the course :wink:

jeff
(Hmm, someone get a moderator to try to move this thread to Basic *chuckle*)

Fetch once bubbled...
Eh, next time I think I'll just take a vacation to FL for the course :wink:

I am thinking I will take an upcoming Tech 1 class in the Cayman Islands. They have one coming up in Sept, but unfortunately I am coming back from there two days before it ends... <sigh>

They do have another one there in December tho, anyone feel up to it?

Ok, I know it's not a pass/fail but....

It just seemed like from all the reports it made everyone feel like they had failed. Some even contemplated giving up diving altogether..... :eek:

WYDT once bubbled...
Ok, I know it's not a pass/fail but....

It just seemed like from all the reports it made everyone feel like they had failed. Some even contemplated giving up diving altogether..... :eek:

Did you read my report on it? I went in depth as to what exactly the class was about so that people would have a better idea if it was for them or not. I tried not to focus on my experience, but just give an overall view. Perhaps this perspective might be more enlightening...

Also, maybe some of those reporting might have overestimated their skill and expected to just blow through the class easily. I mean, doing a mask removal and clearing or regulator replacement doesnt sound that difficult does it? It isn't about the skill that is being performed tho, rather the standard to which they hold you while you perform it.

Back
Top Bottom