Does anyone know a Megaladon rebreather dude in a hummer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Al Titude

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So my friends and I were out in Hood Canal at Sund Rock this past weekend, visiting from Montana, and we were treated the worst ever by a fellow diver.

It was this guy in a Copper colored Hummer H2, sporting 'Megaladon Rebreather" logo and wearing same equipment. There were two guys. One looked like a teacher.

The incident took place underwater while cruising the wall. They were in front of us and had spotted the wolf eel in the wall first. These two divers were hovering just above bottom and shining a huge light in the wolf eels face. Anyway, as thaey passed over the wolf eel, the guy that I though was more expereienced, obviously and very intentionally stirred up the mucky bottom so we couldn't see sqwat. And what's worse, is that he continued to do so along his dive route.

Granted this was my first trip to Sund Rock and my expereince with folks on rebreathers. But this sure left a bad taste in mouth.

So does anyone know this guy?

Does he have a lot of money but just doesn't know how to control his bouancy?

I sure hope all the rebreather folks aren't like this.

I can't speak for the guy in your particular encounter, but myself and the other rebreather guys I know have spent a lot of time and money in training and trips. I'm not rich, neither are they, this is just the path we've chosen to follow.

The ones I know also make every effort to "take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but bubbles" and have the least impact on the dive site as possible. To continually lose buoyancy or purposely silt up a site is something that would never cross our minds.

Look hard enough and you'll find jerks everywhere. Hopefully this was just someone just having a really off day and is the exception to their normal diving, rather than the rule.

It was this guy in a Copper colored Hummer H2, sporting 'Megaladon Rebreather" logo and wearing same equipment. There were two guys. One looked like a teacher.

Anyway, as thaey passed over the wolf eel, the guy that I though was more expereienced, obviously and very intentionally stirred up the mucky bottom so we couldn't see sqwat. And what's worse, is that he continued to do so along his dive route.

Granted this was my first trip to Sund Rock and my expereince with folks on rebreathers. But this sure left a bad taste in mouth.

The copper colored H2 Hummer was the giveaway. :eyebrow:

If the doofus on the RB silted up the viz. - let em' know as they messing it up for everyone by pointing out the silt trail.

X

:rofl3: Me think is first name is Leon.

Al

OMG, that is exactly who it is.
The guy with the Hummer is the owner of the company that makes the Megalodon. The divers kicking up the bottom were probably new RB students still learning how to dive on a RB.
Diving a RB is very much different than diving OC and a new RB diver, regardless of OC experience will feel clumsy and out of their element when first strapping on a RB. Cut the guys some slack, I'll bet you weren't a rock star when you first learned to dive.

So my friends and I were out in Hood Canal at Sund Rock this past weekend, visiting from Montana, and we were treated the worst ever by a fellow diver.

The incident took place underwater while cruising the wall. They were in front of us and had spotted the wolf eel in the wall first. These two divers were hovering just above bottom and shining a huge light in the wolf eels face. Anyway, as thaey passed over the wolf eel, the guy that I though was more expereienced, obviously and very intentionally stirred up the mucky bottom so we couldn't see sqwat. And what's worse, is that he continued to do so along his dive route.

Sounds like Leon Scamahorn, owner of ISC... the company that makes the meg..

I have empathy for adding another gas volume to manage - bit it sounds like it was a wall dive. It may have made sense and been more considerate of everyone else for the instructor to drag the class up 10 feet so the students were not wallowing around on the bottom.

It's not really much of a wall, and the area is extremely silty. I dove Sund Rock last year with two cave-trained buddies, and we still disturbed the viz some just by passing through.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom