Does anyone here shoot RAW images?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KeyLargoBrent

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I've shot a few, but my HP card reader doesn't seem to recognize that there is data on the CF card, so I haven't been able to download the images to my PC.

For RAW shooters... how do you download and manipulate your images? Do some card readers recognize the RAW format? Can PS elements be used for editing RAW data?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sorry, I don't know too much about raw. As I take about 150 or more pictures when I dive, I just don't have enough space on my media to make RAW worth while for me.
But I do think that it is less a hardware and more a software problem that you are having. Not all programs recognise RAW and you can't process them with just any software.
Aloha,
Lisa

Hmm, I shoot RAW all the time and I don't have that kind of a problem. I always transfer the files using a card reader connecting to my computer and it always display all the files properly and I can just select all, drag and drop everything into my hard drive. I shoot both Olympus RAW (ORF file) and Nikon RAW (compressed NEF). Photoshop CS can read both ORF and NEF file with a download support. I think with Photoshop Element, you will either have to buy RAW plugin from Adobe or download a free plug in from your camera manufacturers (Olympus has one, don't know about other).

Raw converter plugin is part of Photoshop CS. Adobe used to to sell a plugin for older versions but recently removed it from their website entirely since Photoshop CS came out. Of course, they want you to upgrade to Photoshop CS.

What is your camera? Most camera manufacturers provide a raw converter utility on their software CD.

To transfer raw images to you computer, either use a transfer utility or just drag those raw files to your computer (if you have a CF card reader which makes CF card appear as another drive on your computer.)

Once you have those raw files, you won't be able to double click and make it go because the raw file extension is not recognized and registered in the computer registry.

You simply open them in photoshop CS or older photoshop with a raw converter plugin otherwise look for converter utility on the CD that came with your camera. It is usually mentioned on the manual.

If you have a canon, I know for sure that the converter utility is included. I am sure it's the same with Nikon too.

Good luck. :wink:

I've shot a few, but my HP card reader doesn't seem to recognize that there is data on the CF card, so I haven't been able to download the images to my PC.

Your card reader shouldn't care if the file is a RAW file or JPEG, etc. If it is working OK the CF card should just look like another drive with files in it. Have you tried plugging your camera into the computer and using it to download you files? Can you see the RAW files when you do this?

for your help.

I'm shooting a Canon s50, and have been plugging the CF card into my HP "all-in-one" printer to xfer images to my PC. It works great with JPEGs, but the HP software (Image Gallery) apparently doesn't recognize the RAW format.

I'll try installing the Canon software and downloading directly from the camera.

Back
Top Bottom