Question Does anyone have a good line to Shearwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exxilon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
HELP!

My Shearwater Perdix died. ... Like REALLY died. ... and I REALLY liked that computer! It's *by far* the best computer I've ever had! Nothing else on the market compares!

At the moment it is at the repair facility in the Netherlands and they are telling me that the mainboard is broken and ... well... to spare you the long version of this story... .it's going to cost me €600 to get the damned thing fixed.

The dive shop is telling me that a replacement will cost me €1100.

Surely to God there must be a way to contact someone from Shearwater to negotiate a better price for a replacement.

The "old" computer was only 6 years old and as a customer I SURELY should have been able to expect a longer lifespan than 6 years.

aaaahhhhhh!! HELP!

Does anyone have a better suggestion than just paying full price to replace a computer that shouldn't be broken?

Can you send it to Narked at 90 in the UK?

What is the quote breakdown? That quoted cost is more inline with a full rebuild of pretty much the entire guts of the computer + 20% VAT. did you like run the thing over and then flood it or something?

What is the quote breakdown? That quoted cost is more inline with a full rebuild of pretty much the entire guts of the computer + 20% VAT. did you like run the thing over and then flood it or something?
What they are telling me is that the problem is with the mainboard. It needs to be replaced which requires partial disassembly of the housing etc. etc. which basically comes down to the result that the only thing salvageable about the computer is PART of the housing.

It's a sht show. The computer is 6 years old. I've always been very conscientious with my gear. This computer comes out of the protective case it came in for diving and goes straight back into the box after the dive. It has never been struck (even during a dive), dropped, hit, abused or otherwise mishandled.

I've used it on a little less then 300 dives and never deeper (I think) than about 60m. I cannot, for the life of me, think of what I might have done to cause this.

That sucks.

Our terics are only 3 yrs old and have 124 hrs max use (145 dives) and we're going to need new batteries. Servicing is $150....

The electronic components do eventually fail.

Good to know about Shearwater’s customer service and support.

@Exxilon if they can't salvage other portions like the piezo buttons, screen, etc then yea its pretty much they are assembling a new computer inside your old housing and the cost is consistent. but it does seem weird they couldn't re-use more of the old parts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom