Does anyone "carry on" video housing when flying?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TCDiver1

Ductus Exemplo
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I normally pack my video equipment in a second checked bag but since i don't need my lights for this trip, i was thinking of just carrying my housing and camera on the plane in addition to my normal carry on bag. One less bag to hump through the airport.

Anyone ever do that? Any problems encountered?

Gedunk

i dont have a video housing but i normally wont put anything in check in that i dont want ramp personel to handle or "rat" through, if its valueable i dont check it, unless i cant take it onboard. i just dont i dont trust the TSA and ramp personel, so i dont risk it

personally if you can take it onboard with you just keep it under the limits (unless you have status with the airline and they will let you take more). but if you have to check in make sure to pack it in a sturdy case and inside of a no descript bag so not to raise any suspicions

Tooth

gedunk:
I normally pack my video equipment in a second checked bag but since i don't need my lights for this trip, i was thinking of just carrying my housing and camera on the plane in addition to my normal carry on bag. One less bag to hump through the airport.

Anyone ever do that? Any problems encountered?

Housing, camcorder, video light, reg and computer all come w/me on the plane. Light batteries and canister get checked. I used to check the video light until my round 120 degree reflectors came back oval.

The housing and regulator always get looked at. I keep the housing owner's manual with it so security can see what it is.

In my checked bags I keep a copy of the light canister owner's manual also. The canister and big heavy SLA battery look very suspicious in the x-ray.

ronrosa:
Housing, camcorder, video light, reg and computer all come w/me on the plane. Light batteries and canister get checked. I used to check the video light until my round 120 degree reflectors came back oval.

The housing and regulator always get looked at. I keep the housing owner's manual with it so security can see what it is.

In my checked bags I keep a copy of the light canister owner's manual also. The canister and big heavy SLA battery look very suspicious in the x-ray.
I second that the light canister going through xray with the battery looks bad.The security was in full force yelling whos bag is this and what is in it his eyes were like silver dollars just tell them before it hits the xray...........

I have a small backpack that gets the video camera in the housing, reg set, computer and cannister light. I always figure for a couple of minutes at security since they always search the bag.

JoelW

Cool, thx for the input all. :)

I always carry valuable items, such as cameras or electronics, in my carry-on. The reason is airlines do not insure them in checked baggage, since airlines specifically exclude such items from insurance coverage. Even if they did the total loss is limited by international convention to around $400. So what if they hand search them? They are fairly used to scuba gear and cameras where I go. The only time I had a question was about the lead weight on my Olympus rig -- it is dense on X-ray. (I don't travel with any scuba weights). Other than that, no problems.

Back
Top Bottom