Does anybody know about Map Create 6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mulefeathers

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a gps that came with the Map Create 6.0 software for building maps with waypoints and other detailed items

I am reading a book that is giving GPS numbers like Lat 30 11.637 Lon 87 14.452

the screen that allows me to input numbers looks like this

mapcreate.jpg

Something just doesn't match up and the help that came with the software is about useless.

If anybody has any experience with Map create your help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

At a guess I'd input:
N 30'11'63.7 (or South if it's a southern latutude)
W 87'14'45.2 (or East for an eastern longtitude)

if the location is in the US it'll be N & W though.
Remember - Latitude goes as far as 90 degrees (the poles), Longtitude to 179'59'59.9 (the dateline)

That was my thoughts as well but when I did that I get and error message that says
Latitude must be < 60 seconds

Thanks

The book is giving you location in degrees, minutes, decimal minutes.
The software wants it in degrees, minutes, seconds.

You just need to convert the formats.

MOST locations these days are in degrees,minutes, decimal minutes (to 3 decimal places). Some stuff still uses seconds but its a trivial conversion to make.

Assuming North and West (as you dont state) your example would be

N 30 11 38.22
W 087 14 27.12

Its really worth reading how to use a GPS before planning maps and definitely before navigating with it. This is trivial basic stuff.

mulefeathers:
I have a gps that came with the Map Create 6.0 software for building maps with waypoints and other detailed items

I am reading a book that is giving GPS numbers like Lat 30 11.637 Lon 87 14.452

Thanks

What you have is degrees (space) minutes (dot) decimal fraction of a minute

The software wants degrees minutes seconds and decimal fraction of a second, you need to do the conversion

Well I have read the manual from Lowrance and the help files with this software but as I stated it was really not helpful with this problem. I was not able to find anything about doing a conversion.

It is North and West

Thanks for the information

Just converting from thousands of a unit (.000) to seconds (60). Very simple conversion.

You might check your settings in both the gps and the mapping software, and see if they can be changed to match. On mine I can input or read out with a number of different formats. It might be as simple as selecting degrees/minutes/decimal minutes as opposed to degrees/minutes/seconds.

mulefeathers:
Well I have read the manual from Lowrance and the help files with this software but as I stated it was really not helpful with this problem. I was not able to find anything about doing a conversion.

It is North and West

Thanks for the information

Doing a google search "lat long conversion" will give you several sites with online conversions
one example ----> http://www.directionsmag.com/latlong.php

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom