Does a new tank need a physically VIP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And just my opinion, but so often people seem to be looking for anyway to save a few bucks. You trust your life with the gear you dive with. No ask yourself, how much is your life worth.

:confused:

Okay, am I missing something here? Why on earth would anybody want to trust that a factory / shop has sent out a perfectly clean, ready-to-fill scuba tank?

Wouldn't you WANT the additional confidence of a Visual Inspection before you trust your life to what you are about to breath?

This "does it have to have ?" stuff is puzzling the daylights out of me.

that is not the issue: a vip does lots of checks cylendar balloning or banana shape pits < scaring, gouging ect. those kind of checks are not necessary because it is a new tank. tank contents is always to be checked as part of a valve instalation.

the question was since hydro shops are to do a visual inspection as part of the hydro process does a rehydro negate the need for the detailed vis other than the lsd checking contents before installing valve.

i had read that the hydro date also covers the vis requirement but did not know if that was the original hydro or subsequent hydros for the 12 months following the re hydro. if the hydro shop has the valve they are supposed to check the tank, valve burst disks ect. when it comes back from the hydro shop is there a regulatory requirement to do a vis (on a non factory hydro)

"""Wouldn't you WANT the additional confidence of a Visual Inspection before you trust your life to what you are about to breath? """

if the hydro shop is required to do a vis on all tanks with valves, should i be paying for the second vis by the shop when it was already done by a hydro tester. i am assuming that the hydro vis is for air only, no O2 issues involved.

one of my courses said something about verifying an up to date vis or hydro date <12 months old if vis sticker is not affixed as a prereq to filling.

i have only seen a couple of shops that know asbout the hydro/vis relationship they have a general rule no vis no fill. when i got my tanks the lds put vis stickers for the first year only to avoid hassles from other shops not knowing about the factory hydro date exception to the vis sticker.

If the LDS will only fill a tank(s) with a vip sticker on it then it needs it. The LDS are the ones filling the tanks with equipment they paid for in a building they own/rent. If you want your tanks filled and they want you to hop on one leg then what do you do?

The owner of a LSD where I brought my new 19cf pony minus a vip sticker to be filled he vip'd it and put a sticker on it for free. He told me he has found paper work and such in some new tanks. Safe or sorry?

my pony (catalina) came with a sticker on it saying it had been vis's in the process of qa and that that inspection was good for one year from the stamped inspecion date (hydro). from that you get a sticker after checking for clean tank prior to installing a valve. no detailed inspection required...

My last 4 tanks were purchased online. All came with valves installed, vip stickers, and air (between 200 and 300 psi).

my pony (catalina) came with a sticker on it saying it had been vis's in the process of qa and that that inspection was good for one year from the stamped inspecion date (hydro). from that you get a sticker after checking for clean tank prior to installing a valve. no detailed inspection required...

Who ever is using these VIP stickers is assuming a huge unnecessary liability.

A VIP is required (by most fill station operators) every 12 months, the actual inspection can only speak to the condition of the cylinder when it was inspected, not what *might* happen over the next almost 13 months.

Tobin

I had a friend who upon bringing a new empty cylinder to our LDS was told it needed to be viz before they would fill it no matter what and it was a good thing because when they removed the valve they found a dead shrivelled up stinky mouse inside. Turns out the shop they bought the cylinder from stores their cylinders with he valves removed and no plug so this is a good example of why you want the viz no matter what as you never know.

Always look in a new tank before the valve goes on. I've seen new tanks with a small amount of oil and tailings in the bottom.

that is not the issue: a vip does lots of checks cylendar balloning or banana shape pits < scaring, gouging ect. those kind of checks are not necessary because it is a new tank. ......

Sorry man I gotta say... I failed an al80 straight out of the shipping carton for physical defect. Catalina/Luxfer (forget whose that one was from but it matters not) may have missed the the small 1/8" deep pit/gouge in the side of the tank, or it may have happened in shipping, but either way it was only good to be a 35$ paperweight destined for recycling after I took my Jiffy marker and circled the flaw. I believe it got returned by the shop to the vendor... not sure at this point; a couple years ago....

if the hydro shop is required to do a vis on all tanks with valves, should i be paying for the second vis by the shop when it was already done by a hydro tester. i am assuming that the hydro vis is for air only, no O2 issues involved.

the hydro shop does not typically put viz stickers on the tanks; they punch em on the neck. If you do not want to pay for the viz at the shop, I am sure they would be willing to provide your cylinder back to you with the old O-ring (cut upon removal to prevent accidental re-use) valve un installed and in a ziplock bag, and the thread guard plug still in the threads of the tank.

You want the sticker??
You want the tank assembled??
you want a new o-ring??

PAY for the VIP!!

i have only seen a couple of shops that know asbout the hydro/vis relationship they have a general rule no vis no fill. when i got my tanks the lds put vis stickers for the first year only to avoid hassles from other shops not knowing about the factory hydro date exception to the vis sticker.
and I had a shop manager once question why I had not punched a whole year on the VIP sticker... If the tank is not in hydro, it does not fulfill the requirements of VIP.... plus I have seen tank monkeys only look at the sticker not the neck stamp...

not all shop staff know everything so it is always best to err on the side of caution: feel free to ask questions. If you ask your questions in the right tone, and at the right time, there is a typical human inclination towards wanting to talk about oneself or things one is good at... you do it right and you get your answers and make the shop guy feel important by being able to educate you.

ask the wrong guy on the wrong day and/or in the wrong tone, and it will backfire. (think wife/gf on a "bad" day... it translates, and some tank monkeys have more "bad days" than others...)

:D [flamesuit ON]
just sayin...

t

For those buying tanks online and bringing them in for the VIP, don't you get the typical "why didn't you just buy the tanks from us in the first place attitude?"

Back
Top Bottom