Does a new tank need a physically VIP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is always a good idea to have a brand new tank physically inspected for safety. Although the vast majority of the cylinders are never a problem mistakes in manufacturing do occur. I saw a brand new aluminum 80 not pass VIP because a crack was found in the threads. If it had been assumed that because it was new that a VIP was not necessary there may have been a bad accident.Thank GOD we have a series of checks and balances like this in place. I would be willing to bet that the crack occured during the hydro test at the factory. I can't imagine why a place would send a VIP sticker with a tank and not inspect it. In the event of and accident that store would have been liable. To many times short cuts can get you into trouble. Although there is no law saying that a VIP is required the scuba industry has made this manditory for the safety of the people at the air fill station and also for liability reasons. I would recommend that you get your new cylinder visually inspected right away and never assume that it is not necessary, high pressure cylinders need to be treated with respect.

Any tank that is brought in to a shop empty, new or not, warrants removing the valve and having a looksee inside.

In my experience most shops will generally do a full vis+ on Al tanks but just peek inside new steel tanks.

some one lease correct me if i am wrong. the hydro date is also a vis date. as a vis is part of the hydro. the vis is only an air vis and not a nitrox/o2 vis. also the hydro shop has to have the valve to do this. my lds keeps the valves and only gives the shop the tank. i dont know any one who will fill with out the vis sticker though. i asked the lds how they know if the hydro did the vis or not and my lds says they do one anyway. i prefer the lds do the vis myself. or at least re do it.

NO - A new tank does not need a VIP sticker, if... the stamped manufacture date is still less than 1 year old. Once the date is more than 1 year old, then YES you need a sticker. Most dive retailers put a sticker on new tanks before delivering them to the customer, as a courtesy.

NO - A new tank does not need a VIP sticker, if... the stamped manufacture date is still less than 1 year old. Once the date is more than 1 year old, then YES you need a sticker. Most dive retailers put a sticker on new tanks before delivering them to the customer, as a courtesy.

thats what i thought does that apply for re hydro's also or only the the factory initial hydro?

that is assuming that the tank left the factory with a valve installed(Rarely Happens). I'll tell anyone who wants a tank filled and doesnt have a vis sticker NO all day every day. If anyone thinks a tank is in serviceable condition based solely on the fact that its new is mistaken.

:confused:

Okay, am I missing something here? Why on earth would anybody want to trust that a factory / shop has sent out a perfectly clean, ready-to-fill scuba tank?

Wouldn't you WANT the additional confidence of a Visual Inspection before you trust your life to what you are about to breath?

This "does it have to have ?" stuff is puzzling the daylights out of me.

:confused:

Okay, am I missing something here? Why on earth would anybody want to trust that a factory / shop has sent out a perfectly clean, ready-to-fill scuba tank?

Wouldn't you WANT the additional confidence of a Visual Inspection before you trust your life to what you are about to breath?

This "does it have to have ?" stuff is puzzling the daylights out of me.

Yeah, I can't imagine wanting to fill a brand new empty tank - or any empty tank - without examining the inside first. What if the hydro shop left half a cup of water in there?

You might not need to do a full neck inspection, but at least make sure there's nothing rattling around inside that might gum up the snorkel. Things happen in shipping.

I bought my tanks on line. LDS charged me for the vis. No bigee. Get the vis done, wether free or not. Well worth the safety and peace of mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom