Doctor's release form for DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually a less than a yyear old doctor's signed medical clearance must be attached to every DM and instructor application.

Yup, its pretty clear:

• Medically evaluated and cleared for diving by a physician within 12 months

Last edited:
lots of places, my urgent care clinic for one, does dot examinations on people they have never met. We get the required medical history and do the required exam and then certify (or not) depending on the applicants medical status. We are dependent on the applicant to give us an accurate history. Within a month these certifications will be part of a national database - but for now it is all on the honor system as to the actual medications used and prior medical history. This is for ensuring the safety of commercial drivers on our roads and highways.

The physical for the dm has less specifics and a few risks that don't apply to the dot driver's exam, but performing one isn't rocket science. Find a place that does employment physicals or dot exams if you don't have a personal provider (pcp). If the provider has knowledge of hyperbaric issues - great, if not then have them read the information for providers that are part of the form. Just be honest - the one most likely to suffer if you aren't is yourself.

This ^

I have (had) no unusual medical conditions and honestly can't even recall bringing a form to my Dr. but I must have, as our shop is very thorough. He probably just signed off on everything. He is a very well respected doctor.
Refresh me: What is the difference between the DM form and the "yes-no" OW/charter medical form?

Are there other things you should be concerned about to become a DM as opposed to an OW diver?

Refresh me: What is the difference between the DM form and the "yes-no" OW/charter medical form?

None.

It makes no difference if you have all "No's" on the form when applying for DM (or OWSI, etc.), you still require the clearance.

If you require medical clearance, it means you have a medical condition.

No, it doesn't, not necessarily. With the pro courses you need a doctor to sign to say that you have no conditions that are contraindicative to diving. So the doctor can sign the form to indicate that you have NO medical condition and are fit to dive. The requirement comes from the agencies, not necessarily the students state of health...

Howdy. We just moved up to Washington so I had a Dr i saw once for an urgent care follow up do my form.

She took it very seriously and even took xrays when we did the physical when I said a small area on my hand had been aching for a month. 5 different visits for different blood draws (when xray came back neg) we found out I have an autoimmune disease - harrumph I say!! But I got that blasted form done.
IDC starts in 28 days!

How and where did you get your doctor's release signed?

I don't have a doctor who knows me or my medical history. Would any doctor who sees you for the very first time sign the form after spending some time looking at you? Or it would require all kinds of $$$ tests before a signature can be obtained?

Just curious-- Where are your medical records? How old are you? Maybe having them sent to a Dr. might be a place to start?

I don't have medical records. Pretty much went to "cash" doctors a few times in my life, moved around. I don't even remember what doctors and where. So far I was not seriously sick and I don't go to doctors for flu and cold. The only doctor that has some records on me is a dentist.

Back
Top Bottom