Doctor Dive (Costa Maya) Video and Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StevePratt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This was my second visit to Costa Maya while cruising the Caribbean. Last October I dived with the cruise line's excursion. It was enjoyable, but I was ambivalent about returning. This time, however, I met a fellow passenger who was going with Doctor Dive, an independent operator. It turned out to be well worth the effort to cancel my ship excursion in favour of Doctor Dive.
My new friend and I took a 10-minute taxi ride south of the cruise port to the DD shop, which looks out on cozy Yaya Beach. Our guide, Juan, set up our gear. With just two other divers there was plenty of room in their small boat. Juan, a 30-year-old from Spain, took us first to Steps, which is a nice site; not spectacular, but enjoyable nonetheless. Later, he revealed this was, in a sense, a check out dive. We must have passed the test, as the next site, the Old Lighthouse, was really nice.
Visibility was good at both sites. Water temps were around 78 or 79F. Fish life was decent and varied; corals seemed to be in good shape. Surface intervals are at the shop where water and snacks are provided. Making last-minute arrangements was easy through email.
My second visit to Costa Maya and diving with Juan and Doctor Dive was a much better experience than my first with the cruise line's operator. I look forward to returning soon.

Here's a video from the trip:

Here's Doctor Dive's website. So, just what was better about this vs. your cruise line-arranged prior dive trip there? I'm trying to get a sense of whether Doctor Dive did something particularly good, or the prior operator did something you didn't like.

Richard.

A fair question, Rich. With Doctor Dive I got longer bottom times, a smaller, and more skilled group of fellow divers (three vrs. eight), better dive sites. Most importantly, my guide, John, understood I didn't want to rush. I take video most dives, which is difficult if the guide is herding me along to keep up with the group. I prefer to take it slow and look really closely at the scenery. Doctor Dive better facilitated diving the way Iike to dive better than the ship's operator.

Back
Top Bottom