Doc Campbell's Newsletter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SubMariner

C'est Moi
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Recently I received this in my email box from Dr. Ernest Campbell (aka Scubadoc) about his Newsletter "The Ten Foot Stop":
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Note from scubadoc

A sizeable number of you have received a request from 'Paypal' for a one-time 'voluntary' subscription dues to offset some of our out-of-pocket expenses. This has also given us the opportunity to use the response from the recipients of the Ten Foot Stop newsletter as a method to judge the efficacy, usefulness and actual value of the publication to the diving membership.

So far, there have been few to show any interest in supporting the newsletter - on the contrary, there have been many who have unsubscribed, questioned the request or written to state that they didn't have time to read the articles. For those of you who received the request - please disregard the email as the request has been cancelled.

We have worked many hours in an attempt to provide you with updated, valid information about diving medicine - and will continue to do so on our web site. However, it is quite apparent that most of our newsletters are not being read or are being filed away to be referenced later. Consequently, I am ending the publication as of now. If later on there is a significant demand for us to start it back up as a paid subscription opt-in newsletter we might consider doing so. If you are interested, please let me know at scubadoc@scuba-doc.com .

Warm regards and good things!

Ern Campbell, MD "
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This was my email back to him:

Ern,

It was with great sadness that I read your recent email regarding cessation of your exceptional newsletter "The Ten Foot Stop".

Personally, I do not recall receiving the donation request... but if I had, I would have responded positively.

I LOVE that newsletter! Okay, so I'm NOT a healthcare professional who can understand ALL the medical references, but as a scuba Instructor I can comprehend enough of it to find it an invaluable resource... just like YOU! :)

You put a lot of time, effort and caring into that newsletter; plus your website, plus the many scuba discussion boards you post to or moderate a conference on. Not to mention the personal emails you respond to....

Obviously, the lack of positive response you received from some obtuse people has caused you distress. And resulted in cancellation of your wonderful email publication. All I can hope is the rest of us who really CARE about your efforts can persuade you that "The Ten Foot Stop" IS worthwhile and to re-instate it in the future.

You are VERY MUCH appreciated, Ern. Don't let a few thoughtless people make you think otherwise!

People, we CANNOT let this exceptional person think he is not appreciated! PLEASE email him at scubadoc@scuba-doc.com & let him know you want "The Ten Foot Stop" and are willing to make a donation, if need be, to keep it going.

~SubMariner~

I believe most of us know Doc Campbell from his posts here, but I've never heard of this newsletter. Perhaps you'd get a better response if you'd tell us what is in the newsletter?

DSSW,

WWW™

Hmmm...Perhaps his creations ought to become part of the ScubaSource stuff? As in available thought this Board and other SSN web pages??

LadyDiver? What do you think?

Just spent some time reading the newsletter from rstone's links.

Very informative reading and I wish I had known about it beforehand. Too bad that it's gone. As TM says, maybe we can get him to be a regular on this board.

Actually, DD, he might already be a regular on this board as we do have a member named "ScubaDoc".

What I was thinking was to hve LD/KN add what he's doing as a resource to the ScubaSource Network.

I saw that "scubadoc" and didn't put 2 & 2 together! Maybe it is him. If not, we've got an imposter <G>.

Judging by the info in his profile, I believe scubadoc & Doc Campbell are one and the same. The homepage is a dead giveaway. :wink:

BTW, if you read this thread Ern, no offense meant for talking about you in the 3rd person.

TTFN,

~SubMariner~

The Scubadoc here on Scuba Board is the one and only Dr. Ernest Campbell. He has been generous enough to donate his time and knowledge to answer our diving medicine questions.

Here's part of the text of the message, for those that might be interested in the website or in subscribing:

In response we have initiated a paid opt-in newsletter, which will be called
'DiveMedTFS' and which can be accessed on the main page of our web site,
'Diving Medicine' at http://www.scuba-doc.com/ .

Our main web site will continue to be updated and free at
http://www.scuba-doc.com/ .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom