Do you use filters with a light system?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bobjsd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Old diver, new to the forum, a lot of questions about GoPro underwater video.

First.

Do you use filters when using a light? I just bought a dual Sealife 2000 lumen system and was wondering if people feel the need to add a filter at depth.

Thank you in advance.

When close to reef or your subject you would only use your lights. But... when filming things in the blue and subjects > 3-5 feet away etc. your lights will not light the subject. All they would be lighting is backscatter etc. Then a filter is essential.

Thanks. Do you then take the shallow, mid and deep filters with you?

---------- Post added November 6th, 2015 at 07:55 AM ----------

Also, the sticky guide says to always use a filter even when using lights. Do you agree or will that cause too much color saturation?

My $0.02:

- I use a filter with my lights; the only exception to this is in extremely shallow water or if using my macro lens
- My set-up is below. Since I normally have the macro lens with me, I tend to choose the 20-50 foot filter (I use the Backscatter flip systems and filters)

Snake%20River%201-L.jpg

Last edited:
When I use lights (sola 2000s) and a filter, the video is red if I am close to the subject. So for me I can't use the filter and I don't need it since my lights properly expose my subject. I use the backscatter flip system as well and since I also have the macro mate I can only use one filter. I tend to choose the 20-50. If I was able to use 2 color filters it would really depend on what my goal is and what the dive plan is.

If you have the backpack you can see if your video looks too red so you can experiment for yourself.

One caveat I just realized. I haven't used my dual sola set up in warm water yet.... So my double lights with filter feedback is in green water with a magenta filter....I've been using the double set here in New England for about 10 dives. Previous warm water shooting was with single sealife dragon 1200 and 20-50 filter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you set Protune on and if so, what are your settings?

---------- Post added November 8th, 2015 at 09:47 AM ----------

Same Protune Q for you.

Well I am not an expert by any means but I think if you use a video editor to edit your video after the fact then you might want to turn on Protune... but you will have to do color correction. Your camera will capture more info but it won't look ready straight out of the camera. If you don't use Protune then it it will look better straight out of the camera. so... Protune with color correction is better than without Protune. Protune requires post processing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom