Do you use anything to assist getting your latex seals on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoopa

Contributor
Reaction score
Just got a drysuit--- so i have a steep learning curve... I have read where people have used baby powder -- or ky lube to assist getting their latex seals on..... so? What do you guys think? Lube- power or just put your damn hands in and dive already?

I use unscented talc. The seals get dusted with the talc after rinsing/drying and prior to storage before the next dive.
The latex seals should slide right on so long as your skin is dry.
If your skin is wet, then the latex seals won't slip on as easily. Then you might have to resort to liquid lubes.

FWIW, your drysuit manufacturer (in the instruction manual or on the company website) might recommend using a "seal saver" product to extend the life of the seals.

Make sure that an experienced drysuit diver or a competent instructor is helping you to make sure that the seals are tight enough but not too tight. To the novice drysuit diver, it's not obvious how to strike such a balance. It's critical for comfort and performance.

Pure unscented talc in dry conditions or KY if things are still wet.

When I remember, and we have it with us, I use Seal Saver. The rest of the time I just push my hands through. I have very small hands.

Ill second the seal saver.....I put it on after every rinse then add alittle more to the inside right before donning it

My buddy turned me on to using a 10:1 solution of water to dish soap. His theory is that the soap helps remove accumulated skin oil from the seals which may contribute to latex deterioration. Plus it's slick and makes you both donning and doffing a breeze. For what it's worth he is still on the original seals on a 6 year old suit.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Either use talc or nothing, talc usually means it slides on first time and sits right, if i use nothing seals bunch up and i have to spend another 10 mins straightening it out so it wont leak,

I'll go along with the talc crowd. Seems I have an easier time getting my wrists through with a talc dusting beforehand

Back
Top Bottom